Today Show: Super Foods Recipes To Help You Lose 10 Pounds In Five Weeks
Did you ever think you could lose weight just by sitting down? How about losing 10 pounds in just five weeks by eating healthy super foods? According to the Editor in Chief of Self magazine and author of The Drop 10 Diet Cookbook, Lucy Danzinger, it is possible if you start adding some super foods to your diet. Danzinger said super foods are foods you can eat that tap into your body’s natural fat burning qualities. She also said eating about 60 grams of protein every single day is going to help you build muscle which in turn helps your body burn calories.
The bottom line is that all calories are not created equal. Eating avocado, a super food, even though it is high in fat can help you lose weight because it is full of good fat, according to Danzinger.
Check out some of the best super foods listed below:
- Almond butter
- Goji berries
- Olive oil
Check out some of Danziner’s super food recipes below.
Today Show Prosciutto-Wrapped Chicken With Gingered Apple Goji Chutney Recipe
Today Show Proscuitto-Wrapped Chicken With Gingered Apple Goji Chutney Ingredients:
- 1 apple, cored, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup goji berries
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar or rice wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 slices prosciutto, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large bunch kale (about 10 oz) chopped
Today Show Proscuitto-Wrapped Chicken with Gingered Apple Goji Chutney Directions:
- In a small saucepan, add the apple, goji berries, ginger, brown sugar, vinegar and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook about 20 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit. Wrap each chicken breast in one slice of prosciutto. Heat a large, oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the chicken breasts and cook 1 minute, turning once to brown the prosciutto. Transfer to the oven and bake 10 minutes.
- In a second large, oven-safe skillet, warm the remaining olive oil over medium heat. Add the kale and cook 1 to 2 minutes, turning often, until the kale starts to soften. Slide the skillet into the oven and bake 5 minutes, or until the kale starts to crisp. Remove both skillets from the oven and place the chicken and kale on plates. Top with chutney and serve immediately.
Today Show Lentil Parmesan Hummus Recipe
Today Show Lentil Parmesan Hummus Ingredients:
- 1 cup dry brown lentils
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup plain, low-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 lemons, zested & juiced
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 2 tablespoons prepared tahini
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mild or hot chili powder
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 4 stalks celery, cut into matchsticks
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, cut into matchsticks
Today Show Lentil Parmesan Hummus Directions:
- In a saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add the lentils and reduce the heat to low. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes until the lentils are soft and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Transfer the lentils to a food processor. Add the yogurt, lemon zest and juice, Parmesan, tahini and garlic cloves. Process until a thick, chunky mixture forms. Add the water and process 10 to 15 seconds, until the mixture lightens in color and is smooth. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with chili powder.
- Serve immediately with the crudites.
Today Show Double Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
Today Show Double Peanut Butter Cookie Ingredients:
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dry roasted, unsalted peanuts, chopped
- 3/4 cup goji berries
Today Show Double Peanut Butter Cookie Directions:
- Coat three baking sheets with cooking spray. In a large bowl, stir together the flours, baking soda and salt until combined well. Set aside.
- In a spearate large bowl, place the quinoa, brown sugar and peanut butter. WIth an electric mixer, beat on high speed until smooth and creamy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix on medium speed about 1 minute, until the mixture lightens in color and is creamy.
- Mix in the peanuts and goji berries. Add the flour mixure and stir until just combined. Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees fahrenheit. Drop dough by heaping tablespoons onto the prepared sheets, spaced 1 1/2 inches apart. Flatten slightly with the tines of a fork.
- Bake the cookies 7-8 minutes, until the edges are firm but the centers are still soft to the touch. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets about 5 minutes, until the centers begin to firm. Using a metal spatula, transfer the cookies to racks and cool completely.