Sunny Anderson: How To Clean a Grill Properly
As long as you don’t live in Colorado, then you know grilling season is upon us. The Today Show brought the queen of the BBQ, Sunny Anderson, on the set to give them some tips on making some delicious recipes on the grill. But before you get to cooking, you need to learn the proper way to clean your grill.
The first thing Sunny wanted everyone to do was put down the brush with metal bristles because just like a makeup brush, sometimes the metal bristles come off the brush and end up in your food. Sunny said getting a metal bristle lodged in a throat is one of the main reasons people go to the hospital after a BBQ.
To clean the grill properly, Sunny said it is important to soak the grill with some water first and then use a sheet of foil to rub down the grill. This will clean it and leave it safe to cook on. Now check out some of Sunny Anderson’s awesome BBQ recipes below:
Sunny Anderson BBQ Rub Roasted Chicken Recipe
Sunny Anderson BBQ Rub Roasted Chicken Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried ground thyme
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 lemon, zested
- 8 cups water
- 1 lemon, juiced and halves reserved
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 (7 to 8 pound) whole roasted chicken
Sunny Anderson BBQ Rub Roasted Chicken Directions:
- In a bowl large enough to fit the chicken, combine the water, lemon juice and halves, salt and sugar. Whisk until salt and sugar are dissolved. Add the chicken to the bowl, cover and refrigerate for six hours or overnight. Try to cover the entire chicken with the brine. If that is not possible, rotate the chicken as it marinates.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl add half of the BBQ rub (garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin and black pepper) and the butter. Mix until well combined. Remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry with paper towels. Use your fingers to gently release the skin from the flesh of the breasts and legs.
- Spread the butter mixture evenly under the skin and over the breast and legs. Pat the remaining BBQ rub mixture all over the bird. Transfer the chicken to a roasting pan fitted with a roasting rack and bake until golden and the juices run clear, basting frequently, for about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and raise the oven temperature to 450 degrees F. Baste the chicken thoroughly with the drippings in the pan, return to the oven, and let bake until the skin is brown and crispy, about 15 minutes.
Sunny Anderson Spicy Sausage Creamed Spinach Recipe
Sunny Anderson Spicy Sausage Creamed Spinach Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 links hot Italian sausage removed from its casing
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoons red chili flakes
- 1 large bag spinach, or 3 bunches de-stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup sour cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Sunny Anderson Spicy Sausage Creamed Spinach Directions:
- Place a large sauté pan over medium heat and coat with oil. Add the sausage and allow to brown. Once all the meat has browned and it is in bite size chunks, add the onion, garlic, chili flake and a pinch of salt and sauté for an additional three to four minutes or until the onion is tender. Add in the spinach, using tongs to stir the spinach throughout the mixture.
- When all the spinach has been cooked it will be wilted. Add the heavy cream, Parmesan and allspice. Allow for the cheese to melt, and then take the pan off the heat and stir in the sour cream until fully combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Sunny Anderson Red Velvet Cake Recipe
Sunny Anderson Red Velvet Cake Ingredients:
- 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 ounces red food coloring
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- Butter, for pan
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
Sunny Anderson Red Velvet Cake Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar, until light and fluffy. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, make a paste out of the red food coloring, cocoa and salt. Remove bowl from stand mixer and mix in paste by hand to the creamed butter. In a measuring cup, stir eggs with buttermilk and add to batter. Mix in vinegar and vanilla, and then add flour and baking soda. Mix until combined but do not overmix.
- Butter a sheet pan. Lay parchment on top. Butter the parchment. Pour batter into pan and smooth the top to even the batter out, using an offset spatula. Bake cake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool in pan.
- Heat the flour, the milk, 1 cup sugar, 2 sticks of butter and vanilla extract in a medium saucepan. Whisk until sauce thickens, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly before using.
- Invert cake onto a cutting board and slice into quarters from the longer side. To assemble cake, spread one of the quarters with some of the frosting to cover. Sprinkle with a quarter of the pecans. Add another layer of cake and repeat. Continue until last layer is added. Frost the top of that and sprinkle with remaining pecans.