Today Show: George Mendes My Portugal Review
Aldea is a Michelin-star restaurant that offers Portuguese cuisine, and Mendes shared some of his favorites from the restaurant in his book. That way, even if you can’t make it to his New York restaurant, you can still enjoy these stunning dishes.
Today Show: George Mendes Chicken Rice Recipe Ingredients
“We’re using my favorite part of a chicken. It’s the thigh,” Mendes said, noting that it “cooks really nicely [and] stays nice and juicy.” The Spanish short grain rice used in this recipe will absorb plenty of flavor.
- 8 skin-on Chicken Thighs
- 6 cloves peeled, minced Garlic
- 1 tsp Red Chile Flakes
- 1/2 cup Dry White Wine
- 4 1/4 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 tbsp chopped Parsley
- 1/2 diced Onion
- 1/2 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 torn Bay leaf
- 2 cups Short Grain Bomba Rice
- 1/2 cup Peas (if frozen, do not thaw)
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
George Mendes: Today Show Chicken Rice Recipe Directions
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Brown them in 2 tbsp olive oil on medium low.
- Rest chicken thighs on a plate. In the same pan, heat the rest of the olive oil on low.
- Add onion with paprika, garlic, chile flakes, and bay leaf. Cook about nine minutes.
- Return chicken to the warm pan and deglaze with 1/2 cup wine, simmering about 30 seconds.
- Add rice to the pan, along with chicken stock. Simmer and add salt.
- Cover and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- During the last few minutes of cooking time, add the peas.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Garnish with parsley and cilantro to serve.