Today Show: Barefoot Contessa
Today’s Tamron Hall had the chance of a lifetime to cook with Barefoot Contessa Ina Garten, who took her through a holiday menu including Baked Virginia Ham, Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes, and Pumpkin Mousse Parfait.
Ina Garten’s cookbook collection is a wonderful addition to any kitchen library. If you want to know more about her life before becoming a chef, and how she became a Food Network icon while making her own rules, you can read about her in From Scratch: The Uncensored History of the Food Network.
Today Show: Barefoot Contessa Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes Recipe Ingredients
Calling this “one of my favorites,” Garten showed Today Show’s Tamron Hall the secrets to making them come out perfect. “It took no time,” Hall reported of her attempt to recreate the recipe on her own at home after Garten’s private lesson.
- 3 scrubbed Sweet Potatoes
- 1/2 cup minced Shallots
- 4 oz diced Taleggio Cheese
- 5 1/2 tbsp room temperature Unsalted Butter
- 1 tsp minced Thyme leaves
- 1 beaten Egg
- Salt & Pepper
Ina Garten: Today Show Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven at 400 F and prepare a baking sheet with foil.
- Place potatoes on the sheet and cut a few slits in them to vent steam.
- Bake about 50-60 minutes, until tender. Let cool about 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 1/2 tbsp butter on medium in a skillet. Saute shallots in butter up to five minutes (they should be tender). Add thyme and cook one more minute; reserve.
- Halve potatoes lengthwise and gently transfer a portion of the warm filling to a medium bowl.
- Season the potato shells with salt and pepper.
- Add 4 tbsp butter to the potato flesh and mash with egg, shallots, Taleggio, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Return the mixture to the potato shells and top with thyme.
- Bake another 25 minutes and serve hot.