Today Show: Thanksgiving Feast
Giada De Laurentiis and Martha Stewart were in Today’s Kitchen with Thanksgiving side dishes for Willie Geist and Natalie Morales. Martha whipped up her Twice-Cooked Potato and Leek Casserole Recipe, while Giada made Tricolore Salad. You can also try Cranberry Mostarda and Turkey Gravy for your next holiday feast menu.
Today Show: Martha Stewart Twice-Cooked Potato and Leek Casserole Recipe Ingredients
This dish combines mashed sweet potatoes and buttered mashed potatoes (sneak in some cream cheese; it’s a Martha secret). It gets baked and topped with fried leeks.
- 2 lb peeled Sweet Potatoes (in 1/2” pieces)
- 2 lb peeled Russet Potatoes (in 1/2” pieces)
- 3/4 cup warm Heavy Cream
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 1 washed, dried Leek (in 1/4” rounds)
- 3/4 cup warm Whole Milk
- 1 1/2 sticks melted Unsalted Butter
- pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- Safflower Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Martha Stewart: Today Show Twice-Cooked Potato and Leek Casserole Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven at 425 F. In separate pans, cover sweet potatoes and russets by 1” of water.
- Bring pans to a boil and season with salt. Boil about eight minutes, or until tender. Drain and return to pans.
- Combine milk with butter and cream in a bowl. Divide this between your potato pans.
- Mash all potatoes until smooth; salt and pepper.
- Spread mashed sweet potatoes in the bottom of a 2-quart baking dish. Top with an even layer of mashed russet potatoes.
- Bake about 25 minutes, or until golden.
- While cooking, combine flour with cayenne. Toss leeks in this until coated.
- Heat 2” of safflower oil in a saucepan on medium high to 350 F.
- Cook leeks in batches to get them crispy and light golden, about one minute per batch.
- Use a slotted spoon to move leeks to a paper towel-lined plate to drain; salt.
- Serve potato casserole garnished with fried leeks.