Today Show: Christy Vega Molcajete Recipe
Christy Vega from Casa Vega came by the Today Show to cook a molcajete recipe. Molcajete is a meal made from shrimp, chicken and lean steak that is served on tortillas. This is a meal she makes for her family. She said she thought it was important to talk about authentic, healthy Mexican food, like molcajete, which is not covered in cheese.
Christy Vega Molcajete Ingredients:
- 2 tsp ancho chile paste
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp pasilla paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tbsp chicken base
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin, plus more for seasoning
- 1 chicken breast, cut into 3 strips
- 1/2 lb skirt steak
- 4 large tiger shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 Anaheim chile
- 1/4 cup queso resco
- 3 green onions with stems
- 1 1/2 tbsp garlic
- 1 1/2 cup olive oil, plus 2 tbsp
- 1 large molcajete dish
Christy Vega Molcajete Directions:
- Start by marinating the tiger shrimp, chicken and lean steak in separate bowls to preserve each individual meat’s flavor. This is particularly important with the shrimp, which can overpower the other meats. The marinade is made from a 1/2 cup of olive oil, 1/2 tablespoon of chopped garlic and a pinch of cumin. Marinate them for about 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Then, to make the molcajete sauce, start by heating olive oil in the pot over medium heat. Add flour, ancho chile paste, pasilla chile paste, cumin, Mexican oregano and black pepper. Stir while it cooks, making sure everything is mixed well. To cool it, add the chicken broth, chicken base and water. Continuing stirring until sauce is well mixed together, about two minutes.
- Cook Anaheim chile on the flame of the burner until its skin pops up and it is charred. In a pot of cold water, peel the skin off and then pat dry with towel. Slice one side of the chile and stuff it with queso fresco.
- Cook chicken, chili, steak and shrimp on grill. The chicken is done when the juice runs clear.
- In a stone molcajete dish, pour half of the sauce you made. Then, put the chicken, shrimp, steak and chile on top.
- Serve with warm tortillas, guacamole, sour cream and pico de gallo.