The Scottos: Meals For the In-Laws
The Scotto family came by Today May 1 2013 to make some recipes you can make for the in-laws. Elaina Scotto is getting married soon, so she joined forces with Mary and Anthony Scotto to make some great meals for the in-laws. But as everyone knows, if you can make something so good even the in-laws won’t complain about it, it’s probably the best food ever. So enjoy these recipes by the Scottos.
Chicken Meatballs Alla Fresco Recipe
These looked absolutely amazing. Mary said that Elaina’s future in-laws are the healthiest people she’s ever met. She said their most important foods are broccoli and chicken. So she made this recipe with the hopes they’ll enjoy it. And as a guy who doesn’t cook meatballs often, anytime I eat a meatball that isn’t made from beef, I feel like I’m eating the finest gourmet in the world. Hopefully your in-laws will, too.
Chicken Meatballs Alla Fresco Ingredients:
For the Meatballs:
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 2 slices American bread soaked in a 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup olive oil
For the Tomato Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup onions, minced
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced Italian tomatoes
For the Whipped Ricotta and Mascarpone:
- 8 ounces ricotta
- 4 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Chicken Meatballs Alla Fresco Directions:
- For the meatballs, start by mixing the ground chicken, onions, eggs, parsley, garlic, cheese and bread together. Season with salt and pepper. If it’s too dry, add 1/2 of water and then form the mixture into about 12 meatballs.
- Place meatballs onto a saute pan with olive oil. Heat over medium high heat and cook until meatballs are brown all over, about 10 to 15 minutes. Then, drain the meatballs on paper towels.
- For the tomato sauce, heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add olive oil, garlic and onions, cooking until lightly golden brown. Then, reduce heat to medium low. Add tomatoes and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, make the cheese mixture. Combine all the ricotta and mascarpone ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- On a large platter, place large dollops of the whipped ricotta and mascarpone mixture, top with meatballs, and then drizzle tomato sauce on top. Serve immediately.
Whole Wheat Pasta With Beef and Chicken Bolognese Recipe
This meal will also have your in-laws smiling and happy. But honestly, who doesn’t love a good pasta with some great homemade pasta sauce? If your in-laws don’t like this one, there’s no hope for good relations. But at least you’ll be eating like a king.
Whole Wheat Pasta With Beef and Chicken Bolognese Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 large carrot, chopped fine
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 large bulb fennel, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large can San Marzano tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 package whole wheat pasta, cooked
Whole Wheat Pasta With Beef and Chicken Bolognese Directions:
- Heat olive oil over low heat in sauce pan. Add the carrot, fennel, onion, red pepper flakes and garlic. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the moisture evaporates, stirring occasionally.
- In the same pot, brown the chicken and beef. Then add the tomatoes, white wine and beef stock to the saucepan. Simmer over medium to high heat, stirring occsionally, for 1 1/2 hours, until sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter, Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper. Add cooked whole wheat pasta and mix together.