Today Show: Tailgate Tips
Football season is starting up, which can only mean one thing: tailgating! Kimberly Schlegel Whitman, the editor-at-large of Southern Living Magazine was on the show to give her tips and tricks for throwing a great tailgate.
Today: DIY T-Shirt Blanket To Stay Warm & Dry
Kimberly said the thing about football fans is that they will be at the game rain or shine. She said one way to help keep you warm and dry is to use your old t-shirts and turn them into a blanket that you can take to the game. She said you can simply cut up t-shirts and sew them together to create your own blanket, or use a resource like campusquilt.com to have a blanket made for you. You just send them your t-shirts and they send a quilt back to you made out of them! How neat!
Today Show: DIY Coozies
Another great idea for the perfect tailgate is to create your own coozies to keep your drink cold. Kimberly said you can buy outdoor carpet from the hardware store, and then paint the yard-lines onto the carpet. Just use velcro to attach the carpet and it will keep your drinks nice and cold!
Today Show: Loaded Baked Potato Dip Recipe
As Kimberly said, when it comes to tailgating, food is the most important thing. She said you really want to think crowd-friendly and one of her favorite tailgating recipes is a loaded baked potato dip.
- 1 (2.1-oz.) package fully cooked bacon slices
- 1 (16-oz.) container sour cream
- 2 C (8 oz.) freshly shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/3 C sliced fresh chives
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- Garnishes: cooked, crumbled bacon; sliced fresh chives; freshly cracked pepper
- Microwave bacon according to package directions until crisp; drain on paper towels.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes; crumble.
- Mix together bacon, sour cream, cheddar cheese, chives, and hot sauce.
- Cover and chill 1 to 24 hours before serving.
- Garnish, if desired.
- Serve with crispy, warm waffle fries.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator up to 7 days.
Today Show: Spicy-Sweet Deviled Eggs Recipe
Deviled eggs are a tailgating favorite. You just have to check out the recipe Kimberly shared for making football-themed deviled eggs. Kimberly garnished the deviled eggs with chives in the shape of a football. I love it!
- 1 dozen hard-cooked eggs, peeled
- 1/2 C mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp mango chutney
- 1/8 tsp ground red pepper
- Kosher salt to taste
- Garnish: sliced fresh chives
- Cut eggs in half lengthwise; carefully take out the yolks.
- Mash yolks; mix in mayonnaise, chutney, and red pepper until blended.
- Evenly spoon yolk mixture into egg white halves.
- Sprinkle with desired amount of salt.
- Garnish, if desired.
- Chill until ready to serve.
Today: Chicken & Honey Sandwich Recipe
You can’t have a tailgate without some kind of sandwich! Burgers are typical, but why not try a chicken sandwich? Kimberly shared a delicious recipe for chicken and honey sandwiches that will have you tailgate buddies begging you to make them for every game.
- 1 (12-oz.) French bread loaf
- 1 (10-oz.) package angel hair coleslaw
- 1/4 C honey-mustard dressing
- 15 to 20 pre-made or cooked fried chicken tenders
- Cut French bread loaf in half horizontally.
- Scoop out soft bread from the center of each half, leaving a 1/2-inch-thick shell to make filling the sandwich easier.
- Mix together coleslaw and honey-mustard dressing until coated.
- Layer bottom half of bread with coleslaw and fried chicken tenders.
- Top with other half of the bread.
- Cut into sandwiches.
Today Show: Homemade Cherry Soda Recipe
Kimberly explained this it’s nice to have a drink the whole family can enjoy during a tailgate. She shared the perfect recipe for a family friendly drink: homemade cherry cola.
- 2 (12-oz.) packages frozen dark, sweet pitted cherries
- 1 1/2 C Demerara sugar
- 1 C water
- 1/2 C fresh lime juice
- 1/4 C liquid from jarred maraschino cherries
- Club soda
- Bring cherries, Demerara sugar, and water to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes or until cherries are tender.
- Let stand 30 minutes.
- Press mixture through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a pitcher, using back of a spoon to squeeze out juices; throw away pulp.
- Mix in lime juice and liquid from jarred maraschino cherries.
- Chill 2 to 24 hours.
- Mix together 3 tbsp cherry mixture and 1 C club soda for each serving.
- Serve over ice in 16-oz. glasses.