Today Show: Richard Blais
You know Richard Blais as a Top Chef judge and winner on Top Chef: All Stars. He is also the host of Hungry Games, a Food Network series that explains why we get cravings for particular foods. He shared a Patty Melt Recipe with Caramelized Onions and Kimchi Ketchup, plus a Kale Salad, on Today Show.
Today Show: Richard Blais Patty Melt Recipe Ingredients
In homage to a diner-themed episode of Hungry Games, Blais prepared one of his favorite classics, the patty melt. Ask your butcher for dry aged beef fat, which is a trimming that is often available for free if you ask for it.
Add your own herbs, spices, and favorite secret ingredients into the patty. The onions are cooked in mustard, just like at In ‘n Out fast food restaurants. The cheese curds are straight out of Wisconsin.
The Kimchi Ketchup has plenty of savory Umami flavor.
- 2 slices Sourdough Rye Bread
- 2 oz Caramelized Onions
- 2 oz sliced Cheese Curd
- 1 Burger Patty
- 1 slice Swiss Cheese
- 1 oz Kimchi Ketchup
Caramelized Onions Ingredients
- 1 thin sliced Onion
- 1 tbsp Yellow Mustard
- 1/2 tbsp Butter
- Salt & Pepper
Kimchi Ketchup Ingredients
- 3 1/4 cups Ketchup
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 cups Kimchi
- 1/4 cup sweated Shallots
- 3/4 cup Agave Syrup
- 1/3 cup Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Salt
Richard Blais: Today Show Patty Melt Recipe Directions
- For the ketchup, combine ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Strain before serving.
- To make the caramelized onions, melt butter on medium in a skillet.
- Toss onion slices in butter. Cover and cook slowly to achieve a golden color; stir now and then.
- Turn heat to medium high and brown onions while stirring.
- Add mustard and stir to coat onions; salt and pepper.
- For the patty melt, butter the rye and toast it on a grill or griddle; set aside.
- Cook burger to your preferred doneness.
- Take the burger patty off direct heat and top it with onions.
- Place cheese over the onions and cover this using a bowl for about 30 seconds, to melt the cheese using steam.
- Assemble your burger using kimchi ketchup and any other desired toppings.