Kathie Lee & Hoda: Cathy Mitchell
Holiday baking does not get any easier than this. Kathie Lee & Hoda welcomed Quick & Easy Dump Cakes and More author Cathy Mitchell to Today’s Kitchen with some totally basic winter desserts. This time, her ideas were Sweet Hot Apple Dump Cake and Granola Caramel Carrot Cake.
Kathie Lee & Hoda: Cathy Mitchell Sweet Hot Apple Dump Cake Recipe Ingredients
This cake uses candy Red Hots to provide some cinnamon flavor. Remember: dump and spread, but do not stir. Cathy also suggested using a potato peeler to make thin slices of butter. In a pinch, you can gently melt your butter in the microwave.
“I didn’t think I’d like this, ‘cause I’m not crazy about Red Hots, but it’s really good,” Kathie Lee said.
- 2 21-oz cans Apple Pie Filling
- 1 15-oz package Yellow Cake Mix
- 1/4 cup Red Hots Cinnamon Candy (+ 2 tbsp)
- 1/2 cup sliced Butter
Cathy Mitchell: Today Show Sweet Hot Apple Dump Cake Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven at 350 F and prepare a 13” x 9” baking pan.
- Spread apple pie filling in the bottom.
- Add a layer of 1/4 cup Red Hots.
- Dump the cake mix over this and use a fork or offset spatula to spread it evenly. Do not stir.
- Add butter in a single layer, covering as much surface area as possible.
- Bake about 50 minutes. Sprinkle with 2 tbsp Red Hots during the final 10 minutes in the oven.
- Let cool about 15 minutes before serving.
Today Show: Cathy Mitchell Granola Caramel Carrot Cake Recipe Ingredients
An even layer of granola is just one layer in this complex dish. Then there is the caramel drizzle. You can use any cake mix you like in these recipes, but this time, Cathy went with Carrot Cake. Hoda Kotb was blown away that you don’t have to stir or add eggs to these cakes.
- 1 20-oz can crushed Pineapple (with juice)
- 1/2 cup sliced Butter
- 3 tbsp warm Caramel Topping
- 1 15-oz package Carrot Cake Mix
- 1 cup Granola
Cathy Mitchell: Kathie Lee & Hoda Granola Caramel Carrot Cake Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven at 350 F and prepare a 13” x 9” baking dish.
- Spread pineapple in the bottom of the dish.
- Add an even layer of cake mix. Use a fork or offset spatula to spread in an even layer, but do not stir.
- Add the butter layer, covering as much surface area as possible.
- Sprinkle granola over the cake mix and drizzle melted caramel topping.
- Bake around 50 minutes and let cool about 15 minutes before serving.