Today Show: Magnolia Bakery
Kathie Lee & Hoda: Magnolia Bakery Caramel Apple Lattice Pie Recipe Ingredients
An improvement on the classic apple pie adds caramel, according to Lloyd, who also said that lattice crust is easy to make. For the pie crust, use a favorite store-bought crust or make your own using the same steps from the bakery’s pumpkin praline pie recipe.
- 4 Honeycrisp Apples
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp soft Butter
- 3 Granny Smith Apples
- 3/4 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 3 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg
Egg Wash Ingredients
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Water
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 3 cups Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Water
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Lemon Juice
Today Show: Magnolia Bakery Caramel Apple Lattice Pie Recipe Directions
- Preheat the oven at 425 F.
- Peel all apples. Cut Honeycrisps in 3/4” slices and Granny Smiths in 1/4” slices.
- Add lemon juice to apples and save them for later.
- Combine sugars with cinnamon, nutmeg, and cornstarch for the filling.
- Roll a bottom crust to about 13”. Fit it into the pie pie; the crust should hang over the edges.
- Brush the dough with egg wash.
- Toss apples with sugar mix and transfer filling to the pie crust.
- Arrange the apples and dot them with about 1 tbsp butter.
- Roll the other dough disc to about 14” and use a pastry wheel to cut 10 strips, each 1” wide.
- Take five strips and space them over the pie in one direction.
- Fold back the first, third, and fifth strips. Layer one strip in the opposite direction across the pie.
- Fold over the second and fourth strips. Layer another strip in the opposite direction to continue with your lattice.
- Repeat until you have used all the dough strips. Trim excess dough using scissors.
- Crimp the edges of the dough around the rim of your pie pan using a fork.
- Brush lattice with egg wash and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Place pie on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, until bubbly and tender.
- Use foil if needed to keep the crust edges from burning.
- Let cool 30 minutes.
- Use a squeeze bottle to add caramel to the pie. Let cool four hours before serving.
- Put sugar with lemon juice and water in a saucepan. Stir with a wooden spoon to get all the sugar mixed in.
- Insert a candy thermometer. Put the pot on high heat and bring to a rolling boil.
- Once syrup reaches 330 F, carefully remove the pot from the stove and set on a dry towel.
- Pour cream into the pot. Mixture will bubble. Once it’s done, whisk in vanilla and salt.
- Put the pot back on medium heat and let simmer while whisking.
- Remove from stove and cool in a metal bowl.
- Let cool before transferring to a squeeze bottle. Chill excess in a sealed container.