Kathie Lee & Hoda: Cooking For Large Parties
With big parties happening during the summertime, Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb welcome chef Ryan Scott to Today’s Kitchen as he cooks up Ryan’s Tipsy Meatballs.
Ryan Scott: Ryan’s Tipsy Meatballs Recipe
Ingredients For The Meatballs
- 1 1/2 cups of day-old bread
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp chili flake
- 1 bunch Italian parsley chopped
Ingredients For The Barbecue Sauce
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 minced red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup whiskey
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp liquid smoke flavoring
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 tsp hot sauce, or to taste
Directions For Meatballs
- In a shallow bowl, soak bread with milk.
- Let set for 5 minutes and then wring dry of all liquid.
- In a large bowl, combine the bread, beef, eggs, garlic, Parmesan, parsley, salt and pepper and mix by hand to incorporate bread into meat.
- With wet hands, form the mixture into 12 to 15 meatballs, each of a size somewhere between a tennis ball and a golf ball.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet, heat the oil until almost smoking.
- Add the meatballs, working in batches if necessary to avoid overcrowding the pan, and cook until deep golden brown on all sides, about 10 minutes per batch.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- The meatballs can be used in sliders, skewers for cocktail appetizers, or mini subs. Leftovers can also be used for barbecue spaghetti.
Directions For Barbecue Sauce
- In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the onion, garlic and whiskey.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Mix in the ground black pepper, salt, ketchup, tomato paste, vinegar, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and hot pepper sauce.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Run sauce through a strainer if you prefer a smooth sauce.
- Makes 4 cups.