Today Show: Make-Ahead Family Breakfasts
Parents Magazine food editor Jenna Helwig visited Kathie Lee & Hoda with some make-ahead breakfast ideas that can help you feed the kids something delicious each morning. Kids will love these ideas for Pink Applesauce and Quinoa Oatmeal. You can also get them excited about Blueberry Breakfast Bars.
Kathie Lee & Hoda: Parents Magazine Pink Applesauce Recipe
Pink Applesauce is a quick and easy way to satisfy your kids even during the morning rush. The skins of the apples generate the color, and not peeling the apples saves prep time.
- 5 lb red Fuji Apples
- 1/2 cup Water
- Rinse, seed, and core the apples.
- Cut apples into one- to two-inch pieces.
- Place apples in a pot and add water. Cover and cook about 10 minutes.
- Stir apples and lower heat to medium. Cook 15 more minutes.
- Turn heat to low. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking.
- Cook 10 to 20 more minutes, partly covered, until apples are done when they are broken down and soft.
- You can either leave the mixture chunky or puree it in a food processor or blender to make it more smooth.
- Once cooled, keep for up to three days in the fridge or one month in the freezer.
Today Show: Parents Magazine Overnight Oats and Quinoa Recipe
You can use the applesauce as a topper for these Overnight Oats and Quinoa.
- 3 cups Water
- 1/2 cup Steel Cut Oats
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup rinsed Quinoa
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Combine water with oats, quinoa, and salt in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; reduce and simmer uncovered for two minutes, while stirring.
- Take off heat and transfer to a container. Cover and chill overnight.
- The next morning, reheat your cereal in a saucepan and add maple syrup.
- Mix in the toppings of your choice, such as cinnamon, nuts, and/or fresh fruit.