Today Show: Healthy Breakfast for Kids
The food editor of Parents Magazine, Jenna Helwig, was in Today’s Kitchen with Kathie Lee and Hoda to share some quick and easy breakfast ideas. Try out the Blueberry Breakfast Bars or maybe serve your kids some Pink Applesauce.
The idea behind these alternate breakfast options is that a busy morning routine doesn’t mean the kids have to eat cereal or Pop Tarts. Instead, they can get a more healthy start to the day.
Kathie Lee & Hoda: Parents Magazine Blueberry Breakfast Bars Recipe Ingredients
When you make your own Blueberry Breakfast Bars, you know what ingredients are going into the mix, unlike when you are picking up a prepackaged fruit or snack bar. Hoda Kotb said mixing these by hand is a true stress reliever. They will keep in the fridge for up to three days, or you can individually wrap and freeze them to keep them even longer.
- 3/4 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup packed Dark Brown Sugar
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 lightly beaten Egg White
- 1 10-oz jar Blueberry Preserves
- 3/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 1/4 cups Rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup cubed Butter
- 3/4 cup fresh Blueberries
- 1/2 tsp Salt
Parents Magazine: Today Show Blueberry Breakfast Bars Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven at 350 F. Prepare a 13 x 9 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Whisk flours with brown sugar, baking powder, oats, baking soda, and salt. Mix by hand to combine and work in the butter cubes to form coarse crumbs.
- Set 1 1/2 cups of this mixture aside in a bowl.
- Add egg white to the larger portion of flour mixture, stirring to mix well.
- Work in blueberries, stirring gently so you don’t break them.
- Press the crumb mixture into the parchment-lined pan, pressing in an even layer.
- Bake about 10 minutes.
- Spread blueberry preserves over parbaked crust using an offset spatula.
- Distribute the reserved flour-butter mix on top of the preserves. Bake until golden brown, about 30-35 minutes.
- Let cool about 10 minutes before removing using parchment paper.
- Rest on a wire rack until completely cool.
- Cut into bars and serve.