Today Show: The Good Gifts Salvation Army Cookbook
Kathie Lee Gifford continued to promote her Salvation Army charity cookbook, The Good Gifts, on the fourth hour of Today by sharing recipes for Lemon Bars and Blood Orange Lemon Bars. Previously, she revealed recipes for Salmon Fillets and Coconut Custard Pie from the book.
Today Show director of culinary production Bianca Borges was the food stylist for Kathie Lee’s book, and she was in the kitchen to explain this dessert classic.
Kathie Lee & Hoda: Good Gifts Blood Orange Lemon Bars
You can give these Lemon Bars a Blood Orange twist. You would use the zest and juice of one lemon instead of six. Combine that with the zest and juice of four Blood Oranges. You should end up with one cup of Blood Orange juice and 1/4 cup Lemon Juice in your filling, while the zest would go in the crust.
Don’t press too hard while you’re zesting, Bianca said. Use a flat surface, like the bottom of a measuring cup, to level out your crust for even baking. Straining the zest prevents the flavor from becoming bitter.
Kathie Lee & Hoda: Good Gifts Lemon Bars Recipe Ingredients
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 1/4 cups Confectioner’s Sugar
- 12 tbsp Unsalted Butter (in 1/2” pieces)
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 3 Eggs
- 9 Egg Yolks
- Zest & Juice of 6 Lemons
- 1 3/4 cups Sugar
- 8 tbsp Unsalted Butter (in 1/2” pieces)
- pinch of Salt
Today Show: Kathie Lee & Hoda Lemon Bars Recipe Directions
- Preheat the oven at 350 F and prepare a 9” x 13” baking pan, lining it with parchment.
- Combine flour with confectioner’s sugar, salt, and the zest of one lemon in a food processor. Pulse in butter pieces to create a mealy consistency.
- Transfer to the pan and press into an even layer on the bottom. Reserve.
- Whisk eggs with yolks in a saucepan to combine. Stir in sugar, 1 1/2 cups lemon juice, and the rest of your lemon zest, with a pinch of salt.
- Reserve remaining butter pieces in a glass bowl.
- Place the saucepan on medium heat, stirring constantly, for about nine minutes while it thickens. Let simmer.
- Take off heat and strain into the butter bowl. Use a spatula to press the filling through the strainer so that only the zest remains. Discard zest.
- Bake the crust for 20-25 minutes, to light golden brown.
- Whisk lemon filling with butter.
- Once crust is browned, remove it from the oven and reduce heat to 300 F.
- Pour filling over the crust and place it back in the oven for 17-19 minutes.
- Remove and let cool before cutting into bars. Serve dusted with confectioner’s sugar.