Today’s Kitchen: $5 Family Meals
The $5 Dinner Mom, Erin Chase, was on Kathie Lee & Hoda to share easy and affordable meals, like her Citrus-Rosemary Roasted Chicken. For more cheap eats, try her Black Bean Enchiladas Recipe or Pork Chops Recipe.
Kathie Lee & Hoda: Erin Chase Citrus-Rosemary Roasted Chicken Recipe Ingredients
Citrus zest is a great way to get more flavor in your food without spending a fortune on spices. Lemons and oranges are usually very affordable. Just don’t zest the middles of the fruits in this recipe, because you will be using the slices when you cook.
“I like the piny flavor of the rosemary with the sweet and tart from the citruses,” Chase said of this dish. This time, you’re making a double batch: eight servings will cost $9.42, which means you can count on leftovers.
- 1 whole Chicken, in pieces (the supermarket or butcher can cut it for you)
- 1 or 2 sliced, zested Oranges
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- Rosemary sprigs
- 2 sliced, zested Lemons
- Olive Oil
- Seasoning Salt
$5 Dinner Mom: Today Show Citrus-Rosemary Roasted Chicken Recipe Directions
- Preheat the oven on 400 F.
- Arrange chicken pieces in a roasting pan.
- Drizzle chicken with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with seasoning salt, garlic powder, and pepper.
- Place sprigs of rosemary around the chicken.
- Sprinkle or grate fresh zest from oranges and lemons over the chicken.
- Arrange citrus slices around chicken and rosemary in the roasting pan.
- Roast uncovered for one hour, basting after 40 minutes if you like.
- Once chicken is fully cooked to an internal temperature of 165 F, let rest before serving.
- You can serve this with gravy, dinner rolls, and a favorite vegetable on the side.
- To make a gravy, transfer roasting liquids to a bowl.
- Skim off the fat using a spoon.
- Whisk with 2 tablespoons of warm water and a teaspoon of flour.