The Talk: Chef Chris Kimball
From America’s Test Kitchen, Chef Chris Kimball was on The Talk with low calorie versions of a Linguine Bolognese Recipe and Coconut Shrimp Recipe. He is also the author of Comfort Food Makeovers, and he shared some low-calorie, guiltless snacks on TV.
The Talk: Chris Kimball & Julia Child
Chef Chris Kimball once got to cook with the legendary Julia Child. He had to help her shuck oysters, which ended in bloody fingers because that is a hard job. But together they got the job done and were friends for years. I bet she was a lot of fun to share a kitchen with.
The Talk: Linguine Bolognese Recipe Ingredients
Chef Chris Kimball’s recipe has just 530 calories and about half the fat of a traditional version of this recipe, without giving up the great taste.
- 1 lb Ground Turkey
- 2 oz Pancetta
- 2 Carrots
- 1/2 oz Dried Porcini Mushrooms
- 1 Onion
- 1 Anchovy Fillet
- 28 oz Whole Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1/2 cup Dry White Wine
- 4 cups Water
- 1 lb Linguine
- Salt & Pepper
The Talk: Chris Kimball Linguine Bolognese Recipe Directions
- Cut carrots and onions. Pulse in a food processor to chop. Reserve in a bowl.
- Cut pancetta, anchovy, and mushrooms. Process until chopped. Reserve in a separate bowl.
- Pulse tomatoes and juice until smooth. Place in a bowl and reserve.
- In a Dutch oven on medium, melt butter.
- Add pancetta mix and brown, about two minutes.
- Add carrot mix with a teaspoon of salt. Cover and cook about nine minutes on medium low, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and sugar, cooking about 30 seconds.
- Stir in turkey and let cook one minute. Add milk to deglaze.
- Simmer and reduce, about 20 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook one minute.
- Add wine and simmer; reduce nine minutes.
- Add tomatoes, water, and pasta.
- Simmer on medium high. Cover and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, around 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.
The Talk: Chris Kimball Coconut Shrimp Recipe Ingredients
In this oven-fried version of shrimp, watch the calories go down again. This is 290 calories per serving, down by about half compared to the traditional version.
Orange Dipping Sauce
- 3/4 cup Orange Juice
- 1/4 cup Orange Marmalade
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Corn Starch
- Garlic Powder
- Ground Ginger
- Lemon Juice
- 1 3/4 cups Panko (bread crumbs)
- 1 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 1/2 lb Shrimp (extra large)
- Cooking Spray
- 1/3 cup Shredded Coconut
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 4 Egg Whites
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
The Talk: Chris Kimball Oven Fried Coconut Shrimp Recipe Directions
Orange Dipping Sauce
- Combine garlic powder with juice, marmalade, ginger, honey, and corn starch in a pan.
- Simmer on medium high, whisking constantly.
- Reduce to medium low and simmer, continuing to whisk, until thick, about four minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add lemon juice and salt as desired.
- Let cool before serving.
Oven Fried Coconut Shrimp
- Preheat oven to 475 F.
- Combine canola oil with Panko and spread on a baking sheet.
- Cook about seven minutes to light gold.
- Add coconut and cook another couple minutes, to a deep gold.
- Place flour and eggs in separate shallow bowls or dishes.
- In a third dish, combine Panko with salt and Cayenne.
- Prepare a baking sheet and/or wire rack.
- Dry shrimp. In batches, dip shrimp in flour, egg whites, and bread crumbs.
- Arrange on prepared baking sheet.
- Spray with cooking spray and bake until shrimp are fully cooked, around six minutes.
- Serve with orange dipping sauce.
The Talk: Low Calorie Cheesecake Recipe Ingredients
This 360-calorie cheesecake recipe is a great way to have your cake and eat it too. In a blind taste test, subjects did not think this was the light cheesecake.
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 4 tbsp Butter, melted
- 8 Graham Crackers
- 2 cups Cottage Cheese
- 1 lb Neufchatel Cheese
- 8 oz Yogurt Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3 Eggs
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
The Talk: Low Calorie New York Cheesecake Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Break up graham crackers into crumbs using a food processor.
- Add cool melted butter and sugar, pulsing to mix well.
- In a springform pan, sprinkle the crumbled mixture and use a flat object to press it tightly to the bottom.
- Bake until set, around 12 minutes. Let cool.
- Turn oven up to 500 F.
- Place a dish towel in a medium bowl. Use it to drain cottage cheese for about half an hour.
- Process cottage cheese in a food processor to get out the lumps.
- Add yogurt cheese and cream cheese. Pulse until smooth.
- Add lemon zest, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Pulse until smooth.
- Add eggs one by one and continue to process.
- Prepare the crust pan using cooking spray and place it on a baking sheet.
- Pour cheese into pan and bake about 90 minutes, until center reaches 150 F.
- Rotate pan during cooking to ensure even heating/baking.
- Remove to a cooling rack and use a small knife to loosen cake from pan.
- Let cool for a few hours, occasionally making sure to loosen the cake edges with your knif.
- Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours, until chilled.
- Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.