The Talk: Chef Casey Lane
Chef Casey Lane is one of America’s hottest young chefs, and his two LA restaurants are called The Tasting Kitchen and The Parish. He was on The Talk to share some ideas for spicing up your spring salads. Try his Kale Salad Recipe and a beet trick that even Sheryl Underwood approved of.
The Talk: Kale Salad Recipe With Limoncello Vinaigrette Ingredients
Casey Lane said he wanted to make salad more exciting. You can give healthy kale a wow factor and surprise guests with a Limoncello twist to make your dressing more creative.
- 1 lb Curly Leaf Kale, chopped
- 2 cups Sugar Snap Peas
- 5 Radishes
- 2 cups Fresh Herbs
- 1/2 cup Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup Banyuls Vinegar
- 1 cup Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Shallot, minced
- 1/3 cup Limoncello
- Salt & Pepper
The Talk: Casey Lane Kale Salad Directions
- Blanch peas in boiling water for two to three minutes.
- Shock peas in ice water after cooking. Drain and reserve.
- Soak shallots in lemon juice for about 10 minutes.
- Mix vinegar and Limoncello with lemon juice.
- Whisk in olive oil to create dressing.
- In a large bowl, combine peas with radishes and kale.
- Toss the dressing in the bowl to lightly coat the salad.
Casey’s advice is to dress the bowl, not the greens themselves. That helps you have more control over how your salad is dressed.
Casey Lane: The Talk Green Bean And Beet Salad Recipe Ingredients
Chef Casey Lane said that beets are good for you, and people who say they don’t like them may not be preparing them correctly. Sheryl Underwood seemed to be won over by Lane’s preparation approach to beets, and maybe it will work for you too.
- 1 lb Haricots Verts Green Beans
- 6 Red Beets
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 4 sprigs Thyme
- 1/2 cup Banyuls Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 cups Hazelnuts
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 1/2 cups Hazelnut Oil
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice
- Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
The Talk: Casey Lane Green Bean And Beet Salad Directions
- Blanch green beans in boiling water for a few minutes.
- Shock beans in ice water. Drain and reserve.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Peel and cube beets.
- Toss beets in olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Arrange beets in a roasting pan.
- Rinse bowl with warm water and pour over pan.
- Cover pan with foil and cook for one hour, until tender.
- Let beets cool. Cut into wedges.
- Toss beets in vinegar and olive oil. Marinate about half an hour.
- Pulse garlic with hazelnuts in a food processor to form a butter paste.
- Roast hazelnut paste in the oven at 400 until golden brown.
- Whisk hazelnut butter in lemon juice and hazelnut oil.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Dress green beans with hazelnut mixture and arrange on a serving plate.
- Layer beets on top of beans and mix through your salad.
- Serve with fresh mozzarella.
The Talk: Casey Lane Restaurants
Casey Lane also showed off his restaurant-style biscuits that make a great breakfast sandwich. Sage, avocado, bacon, and cheddar are among his breakfast biscuit fillings. Check out his restaurants if you are in the LA area.