The Talk: Side Dishes
Ryan Scott shared ideas for holiday meal side dishes on The Talk. Get these recipes for Maple Bacon Sweet Potatoes and Five-Cheese Macaroni and Cheese. Plus, try Slow Cooker Pumpkin Brownies and Jalapeno White Cheddar Cornbread.
The Talk: Ryan Scott Five-Cheese Macaroni & Cheese Recipe
“If you’re going to do mac and cheese at Thanksgiving, you can have fun and do any interpretation you want,” Ryan Scott said. His topping suggestions included mustard, onions, and bacon.
- 1 lb Butter
- 1 gallon Milk
- 3 cups 5-Cheese Blend
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1 lb Flour
- 1 lb Elbow Macaroni
- 2 tsp Hot Sauce
- 2 cups shredded Jack Cheese
- toasted Brioche breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp Salt
- Melt butter in a pot. Then whisk in flour to form a roux, for about 10 minutes.
- Whisk in milk and work to incorporate throughout the roux.
- Bring sauce to a low boil, cooking 25-30 minutes to thicken.
- Cook macaroni to al dente and let cool.
- Preheat oven at 400 F.
- Combine five-cheese blend with hot sauce and salt, adding this to the sauce.
- Use a hand blender to create a smooth consistency for the sauce.
- Transfer macaroni into a casserole dish. Top with cheese sauce and fold in Jack cheese.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top and bake to golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
The Talk: Ryan Scott Maple Bacon Sweet Potatoes Recipe Ingredients
“A sweet potato doesn’t normally get all the glamour that it should during Thanksgiving,” Ryan Scott said while explaining this recipe. Baby marshmallows mean you’ll get a little gooey goodness in each bite.
- 12 Sweet Potatoes
- 12 slices thick-cut Bacon
- 1 cup toasted Pecans
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- 4 sprigs chopped Rosemary
- 1 cup Mini Marshmallows
- 2 tbsp Corn Oil
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Black Pepper
Ryan Scott: The Talk Black Maple Bacon Sweet Potatoes Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven at 400 F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange bacon over it.
- Bake for about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and apply maple syrup.
- Return to the oven for three more minutes. Then let cool and set aside.
- Clean the sweet potatoes and drizzle them in corn oil. Sprinkle with pepper and rosemary.
- Use a fork to stab some holes for venting into the skins of the potatoes.
- Put the potatoes on a baking sheet and cook for 45 minutes.
- Set the oven to broil.
- Slice each sweet potato in its center (not all the way through). Then push the ends toward the center so the potato opens up.
- Stuff pecans and marshmallows inside each sweet potato.
- Place a slice of maple bacon on each potato. Return the potatoes to the sheet pan.
- Return the sheet to the oven and broil to get the tops browned and gooey.
- Remove and serve.