The Talk: Ryan Scott
Former Top Chef star Ryan Scott is the owner of San Francisco’s Market and Rye. He visited The Talk with Jalapeno and White Cheddar Skillet Cornbread, Maple Bacon Sweet Potatoes, and Slow Cooker Brownies!
The Talk: Ryan Scott Jalapeno and White Cheddar Skillet Cornbread Recipe Ingredients
Cornbread is a great thing to pass at your Thanksgiving table. Adding the sour cream with the eggs will help both ingredients get fully blended into the batter.
This recipe calls for Lard, and Scott said if you are cheating for the holidays, you should go big and indulge.
- 2 cups Yellow Cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 cups whole Buttermilk
- 5 tbsp Lard (or use Shortening or Butter)
- 1 1/2 cups grated White Cheddar Cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1 beaten Egg
- 1 diced, seeded Jalapeno
- dash of Hot Sauce
- Salt & Pepper
Ryan Scott: The Talk Jalapeno and White Cheddar Skillet Cornbread Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven at 450 F.
- Place a cast-iron skillet in the oven and let it heat for about 10 minutes.
- Combine cornmeal with baking soda, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- Use a stand mixer to beat together buttermilk, sour cream, and eggs. Add hot sauce.
- Work dry ingredients into the wet mixture.
- Transfer the preheated skillet to the stove, over high heat.
- Melt lard in the skillet until it becomes liquid.
- Carefully transfer liquid lard into the corn mix, with the mixer running (but keep about 2 tbsp in the skillet).
- Fold in white cheddar and jalapenos.
- Let the skillet and lard heat on the stove. Once it’s almost smoking, pour the corn batter into the skillet in an even layer. It should sizzle as you do this.
- Cook on high heat to fry the edges for about two minutes.
- Transfer skillet to oven and cook for 11-14 minutes, or until the tines of a fork come out clean.
- Slice and serve.