The Talk Food Festival: John Besh
Besh brought a “down home” menu that is great for entertaining and easy to prepare in advance, so you can spend more time with your guests. (Maybe you could snack on these dishes while watching NCIS: New Orleans, which airs Tuesday nights on CBS.)
The Talk: John Besh Jumbo Lump Blue Crabmeat Ravigote Recipe
Start things off with a Cajun crab meat appetizer. (For another idea, try stuffing some poached artichokes with a mixture of shrimp, crab meat, breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and your favorite seasonings.)
- 1 lb Jumbo Lump Crab Meat
- 1 minced Shallot
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2/3 cup Blue Plate Mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Sherry Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Horseradish
- 2 tbsp chopped Chives
- juice of 1 Lemon
- 1 tsp Zatarains Liquid Crab Boil
- Dash of Tabasco
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Combine all ingredients, saving crab meat for last.
- Fold the crab meat gently into the mix.
- Serve over toast points.
The Talk: John Besh Shrimp Creole Recipe Ingredients
Onion, garlic, and celery form the trinity, and lemongrass adds some dimension to Shrimp Creole.
- 5 lb peeled, deveined Jumbo Shrimp
- 10 cloves thin sliced Garlic
- 1 seeded, diced Bell Pepper
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tbsp crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 sprig chopped Mint leaves
- 6 cups cooked White Rice
- 1 tbsp minced Lemongrass
- 3 diced Onions
- 1 stalk diced Celery
- 5 lb peeled, seeded, chopped overripe Brandywine Tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp Allspice
- 2 branches chopped Basil leaves
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
John Besh: The Talk Shrimp Creole Recipe Directions
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Add lemongrass and toss in a bowl.
- Heat half the olive oil on medium in a skillet.
- Add shrimp and toss while sauteing for around two minutes, until pink.
- Set shrimp aside and return skillet to heat.
- Add remaining oil with onions, celery, garlic, and peppers.
- Stir constantly with a wooden spoon for about two minutes.
- Add tomatoes and reduce heat to medium low.
- When sauce simmers, add Bay leaf, red pepper flakes, and allspice.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Return shrimp to the pan with mint and basil, cooking another minute or two.
- Adjust seasonings to balance salt, sugar, and pepper.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve over rice, with stuffed artichokes on the side.