The Talk Food Festival: Hans Rockenwagner
The Talk Food Festival featured Chef Hans Rockenwagner with Heirloom Tomato Spatzle and Lye Wash Pretzels.
His Cafe Rockenwagner has five locations in the Los Angeles area, and his German-American recipes are featured in Das Cookbook: German Cooking…California Style, publishing in October 2014.
The Talk: Hans Rockenwagner Heirloom Tomato Spatzle Recipe Ingredients
- Marinated Tomatoes
- Homemade Spatzle
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
Marinated Tomatoes Ingredients
- 1 1/2 baskets Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 tsp Sherry Vinegar
- 1 diced Shallot
- 7 torn Basil leaves
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 cups Flour
- pinch Nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Whole Milk
- 2 tbsp chopped Herbs
- 6 Eggs
- 4 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
Hans Rockenwagner: The Talk Heirloom Tomato Spatzle Recipe Directions
- For the spatzle, whisk flour with nutmeg and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Form a well in the flour and crack the eggs into its center.
- Add 1/4 cup milk.
- Beat eggs in a circular pattern and slowly mix in flour.
- Add 1/4 cup milk when mixture starts to be dry.
- Beat out most of the dough lumps.
- Let rest 10 minutes.
- Prepare a bowl with ice and cold water.
- Fill a pot halfway with water and add a teaspoon of salt.
- Bring water to a boil. Wrap a towel around the pot handle.
- Beat dough a bit more just before cooking.
- Take 1/3 of the dough and spread it into a 4” rectangle on a prep surface.
- Rest cutting board on the towel over the boiling pot.
- Use a scraper to scrape ribbons of dough into the water.
- Once spatzle has risen, skim and transfer to ice water bath.
- Return water to a boil and repeat with remaining dough.
- Strain ice bath once all dough is iced.
Marinated Tomatoes Directions
- Arrange tomatoes in one layer in a baking dish.
- Sprinkle with shallots.
- Combine vinegar and olive oil, drizzling it over tomatoes; salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle basil over tomatoes.
- Marinate, uncovered at room temperature, for about 45 minutes.
- Heat a skillet on medium high.
- Foam two tablespoons of butter.
- Add half the spatzle, cooking about two minutes to golden brown.
- Flip and cook another two minutes.
- Repeat this process with all the spatzle.
- Toss with parsley; salt and pepper.
- Add tomatoes and their juices.
- Sprinkle with parmigiano and serve immediately.