The Drs: Healthy Comfort Foods
Dr Travis Stork shared that you can enjoy crunchy nachos and decadent spaghetti and meatballs, without destroying your diet. He wanted to prove that healthy foods can be tasty foods, so he sent some audience members backstage for a Doctors Diet Cookbook recipe taste test. They had no idea that what they were eating were actually healthy versions of popular comfort foods.
They all said the recipes were very tasty and admitted that it didn’t taste healthy. They also asked for the healthy cookbook that it came from!
The Drs: Healthier Nachos
Dr Stork explained that when it comes to nachos specifically, one of the biggest mistakes they make has to do with the chips they use. He said you want to get 100% corn or 100% whole grain chips. You also want to use real cheese, because it’s a good source of protein and calcium. He also suggested adding guacamole and salsa, which have health benefits. Try using plain unsweetened Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
The Drs: Healthy Spaghetti & Meatballs
Next, Dr Stork explained that people often choose the wrong spaghetti to make spaghetti and meatballs. In his cookbook, he explains that you should choose 100% whole grain spaghetti or even try spaghetti squash. Also, use the right kind of meat and seasonings to make your own meatballs. Plus, use tomatoes for a sauce rather than the store-bought sauce with high sugar content.
The Drs: Dr Travis Spaghetti & Meatballs Recipe Ingredients
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Low-sodium store-bought tomato sauce
- Brown rice spaghetti, whole-grain pasta noodles, or cooked spaghetti squash
The Drs: Dr Travis Spaghetti & Meatballs Recipe Directions
- Combine ground meat & spices, then mix together.
- Create approximately 16 balls out the mixture, about 1 & a half inches in size each.
- Set meatballs aside.
- Bring tomato sauce to a simmer, then carefully add the meatballs & stir to coat them.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer again & cook for approximately 30 minutes or until the meatballs are thoroughly cooked.
- Serve over noodles of your choosing & enjoy!