The Doctors: Molly MDMA Dangers
The Doctors’ News Feed Friday began with an extremely dangerous trend among young people today: MDMA, or Molly. We’ve all heard the drug glamorized by celebrities like Miley Cyrus, but what does Molly actually do? The Doctors spoke with the parents of a responsible young girl who made one bad decision that tragically cost her life.
After many recent deaths, including two at New York music festival Electric Zoo Labor Day weekend, Molly has been making headlines from coast to coast. The small and colorful, or white and powdery substance may seem like lots of fun, but it’s actually extremely dangerous.
Molly floods the brain with serotonin and dopamine, causing users to feel happy and euphoric. While the drug continues to grow in popularity among teenagers and young people in their 20s, many don’t know about its harmful effects.
The Doctors: Shelly Goldsmith Molly Death
Shelly Goldsmith was a beautiful, popular, and extremely intelligent student at the University of Virginia. Attending school as a prestigious Jefferson scholar, Shelly was a dedicated and responsible student who enjoyed letting loose from the time to time. As a volunteer, athlete, and active member of the community, Shelly Goldsmith’s future was undoubtedly bright. Sadly, Shelly died before the promise of her life could be fully realized, and the culprit was none other than the party drug Molly.
According to her parents Rob and Dede, Shelly went dancing with friends and at some point, took Molly. She eventually became extremely thirsty, asking her boyfriend to call 911 before she passed out. When she later died in the hospital, some assumed that a “bad batch” of the drug was to blame; the truth is, there’s no such thing as a “good batch” of Molly.
The Doctors: MDMA Effects
As Dr. Travis explained, MDMA attaches to neurons and causes the body to release hormones like dopamine and oxytocin, which is why Molly is such a popular party drug. However, there’s no denying that Molly is a hard drug, just like meth or cocaine. Ten years ago, ecstasy was all the rage, but Molly may be even more dangerous. Because it’s in powder form, users have no way of knowing exactly what they’re putting into their bodies.
Ron and Dede Goldsmith hope that Shelly’s story will inspire young people to think twice before they participate in this dangerous new trend.