The Drs TV: Meth Toxins Force Family From Home
A couple on The Doctors shared that a year ago, they were incredibly excited to be moving their family into their new home. The last thing they expected, was that the house they moved into was actually a meth house. Once they moved in, it hadn’t even been 36 hours before their son was asking them to leave. During the family’s second night in their new home, their son had an asthma attack. Once they took their son out of the home and took him back to their old apartment, his condition improved drastically.
The woman explained that she and her husband kept going back to the house, and at one point she went into the garage and came across a random assortment of household products that seemed to be really unusual. She did an internet search about what she found, and everything pointed to meth. They had an initial screening for meth and mold that triggered additional testing and costs. Regulations kept them from taking their own items out of the home, so they lost everything.
She shared that they were basically told to walk away from the house with all of their stuff inside. Fortunately, the family finally found a beautiful rental home in a great area, and it’s all starting to come together. But they can’t get the credit to go out and furnish an entire house, so it’s been a process.
The Doctors: Family Buys Former Meth House
The couple, Pat and Kate, joined The Doctors to talk about their experience, and Kate explained that it was just luck that she figured out what was going on, after knowing that something was wrong. She said it didn’t make sense for the products she found to have been left behind. Dr. Travis Stork said what a lot of people don’t realize is that just being around where meth is being made comes with a lot of risks. He said exposure to chemicals can especially affect kids. Dr. Jim Sears said that for every pound of meth that is produced, six pounds of toxic waste are produced.
He further explained that the people who are making meth don’t care about the toxins being created, so they just build up in the house and have been linked to liver, brain, and kidney damage as well as cancers. Dr. Rachael Ross said the toxins build up in the walls and unfortunately the couple experienced an “American dream gone wrong.”
The Drs TV: Are You Buying An Old Meth House?
In order to protect yourself and keep this from happening to you, The Doctors there are a few things you can do. The first thing you should do is check your state’s disclosure laws, because some states have none. It would be difficult to tell from your general physical inspection, but some possible signs include discoloration of drywall or a chemical smell. You should be sure to spend a good amount of time in the home during the inspection process.
You should also hire a licensed environmental hygienist to test the house. The test costs just a few hundred dollars and well worth it for your peace of mind. Dr. Stork said if you notice that either you or your children are having breathing difficulties anytime you’re in your home, raise the red flag. The good news is that little Zack is feeling much better, and he shared that he wrote a letter to Santa saying he didn’t want any toys, he just wanted to live in a house that was safe. The Doctors then surprised Zack with $1,000 worth of toys from Hasbro.
The Doctors then shared that American Furniture Warehouse heard about their story and gave them a $10,000 gift card so that they could buy furniture for their new home.
Leave a Reply