The Drs TV: Teen Almost Died From Binge Drinking
A woman named Kelliee Jo explained on The Doctors that one Friday night she got a phone call from her ex-husband around 9 p.m.saying that their daughter was in trouble. When he got home, he found his daughter on the kitchen floor and when she tried to get up, she fell, and he couldn’t wake her up. They went to the hospital and found Taylor on life support. She wasn’t breathing on her own and was covered in warming blankets with a body temperature of 95 degrees. Her organs were on the edge of shutting down and when they did a full scan they found that alcohol was all that was in her system. She was at a .43, which is more than 5 times the legal limit. Had Kelliee Jo’s husband taken ten minutes longer, Taylor wouldn’t have lived. Doctors didn’t know if Taylor would live or not.
Their story has been shared over 750,000 times on Facebook and Taylor and Kelliee Jo joined The Doctors to explain what happened. Dr. Travis Stork said that he was surprised Taylor was even alive give what her blood alcohol was. Taylor had gone through eight shots, three beers, and berries that had been soaked in hard alcohol. Taylor said she remembered the first 15 minutes of it, but couldn’t remember the rest.
The Doctors: Dangers Of Binge Drinking
She shared that she had been taking a little bit of alcohol out of the bar, but that night was the first time she actually got really drunk. She also said it was the last time. Dr. Stork explained that when you drink liquor, it has to pass through your GI tract then get to your brain, and there can be about a 15-minute delay. Dr. Stork said Taylor only survived because she got to the hospital, where they intubated her. He said when you drink too much alcohol, the basic functions are gone, including the ability to protect your airway and the desire to breathe.
The Drs TV: Signs Of Alcohol Poisoning
Dr. Stork then shared the signs of alcohol poisoning and explained that to make it easier to remember, think of M.U.S.T. H.E.L.P. The signs are mental confusion, unresponsive, snoring/gasping for air, throwing up, hypothermia, erratic breathing, loss of consciousness, and paleness/blueness of skin.
He said if you encounter someone that has those signs, call 911 right away, and don’t let them sleep it off or they may not wake up.
Leave a Reply