Michael Symon: Chicken Fricassee Recipe
On Extra Value Friday, The Chew hosts shared great recipes and tips that won’t stretch your wallet. Michael Symon’s Chicken Fricassee recipe looks and sounds luxurious, but it costs only $2 per serving– that’s it! Joining him in the kitchen was actress, comedian, and fellow Cleveland native, Yvette Nicole Brown.
Ingredients for Chicken
- Olive Oil
- 2 sprigs Thyme
- 2 sprigs Parsley
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 teaspoon Peppercorns
- 3 pounds Chicken Thighs (bone-in; skin on)
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- 2 finely diced Carrots
- 1 finely diced Onion
- 3 thinly sliced Garlic cloves
- 2 finely diced Celery Ribs
- 3 tablespoons Flour
- 1 cup Dry White Wine
- 6 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Lemon (zest and juice)
Ingredients for Onions and Mushrooms
- 5 tablespoons Butter
- 5 sliced thinly White Onions
- 1 pound Cremini Mushrooms (sliced 1/4-inch thick; you can substitute button or shitake)
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 cup White Wine
Ingredients for Sauce
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated Nutmeg
- 1/4 cup chopped Parsley
Michael Symon Chicken Fricassee Directions
- To prepare chicken, add 3 tablespoons of olive oil to a large, heavy bottom pan over medium-heat. Tie herbs and peppercorns in a cheesecloth. Pat chicken dry with paper towels, season with salt and pepper, then sear in batches until golden brown (about 8 minutes per batch).
- Remove chicken from the pan and add butter. Once melted, add carrots, onions, garlic, celery, and salt and pepper. Cook about 5 minutes or until slightly softened. Sprinkle vegetables with flour and stir to combine with butter. Cook for one minute, then add wine, followed by chicken stock.
- Drop the herb bundle and add the chicken back into the pot. Cover, then simmer gently until meat is tender, about 35 minutes. Add the egg sauce mixture to the chicken and bring back to a simmer. Allow the sauce to thicken, becoming creamy and rich. Stir in lemon zest and juice. Remove the herb bundle and discard.
- To prepare onions and mushrooms, add butter to a saute pan over medium-high heat. Once butter is melted and foamy, add onions, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Let cook about 7 to 8 minutes until golden. Deglaze with wine and reduce by half, 2-3 minutes.
- To prepare sauce, whisk together egg yolks and cream, then add freshly grated nutmeg. Slowly ladle some liquid from the braised chicken into the egg mixture, tempering the eggs so they don’t scramble. Whisk in one more large ladle full, stirring constantly.
- Add the egg mixture back to the pot, stirring to combine. Cook for 2-3 minutes at a gentle simmer.
- To serve, place a spoonful of the onion and mushrooms in the center of each individual bowl. Ladle the chicken fricassee, top with sauce, and garnish with parsley.