The Chew: Traci Des Jardins’ Grilled Pork Chops With Cherry Almond Salsa And Creamed Corn
Tracy Des Jardin, who took the victory from Mario Batali in a competition a few weeks ago, came in to cook her Traci Des Jardins grilled pork chops with cherry almond salsa and creamed corn recipe. She also talked about how great it was to be a cook in the bay area in California.
The Chew: Grilled Pork Chops Recipe With Cherry Almond Salsa And Creamed Corn
Grilled Pork Chop Ingredients
- 4-9 ounces Pork Chops (about 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick)
- 2 ounces slivered Almonds
- Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup pitted fresh Cherries
- 1/4 cup Italian Parsley leaves
- pinch of Cayenne
- 1/2 White or Yellow Onion
- 1 Habanero Chile
- 1/8 cup White Vinegar
- 1/8 cup Water
Creamed Corn Ingredients
- 8 ears of Corn
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh chopped Thyme
- 4 tablespoons chopped Parsley
- a pinch of Cayenne or Piment de Espelette
The Chew: Grilled Pork Chops With Cherry Almond Salsa And Creamed Corn Directions
For the Grilled Pork Chop with Cherry Almond Salsa:
- Season the pork chops well on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Get the grill or grill pan very hot.
- Brush with a little bit of oil.
- Cook the pork chop for about 7 to 8 minutes on each side and then allow to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Toast the slivered almonds to golden brown in a sauté pan with scant oil for about 3 minutes over medium high heat or in a 375 degree oven for about 10 minutes, allow to cool.
- Place the pitted cherries in a bowl, add the Italian parsley and the almonds, pinch of cayenne and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Thinly slice the onion and finely cut the habanero chile.
- Combine with the vinegar and water in a small sauce pan, bring all to a boil, immediately remove from heat, add a bit of salt and pepper and allow to sit for a half hour.
For the Creamed Corn:
- With a paring knife make a slit down each row of corn kernels bisecting each individual kernel.
- With a spoon, scrape the cob in a downward motion into a bowl to make a ‘creamed corn.’
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan, add the corn and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, add a little water if it is super thick.
- Add the thyme, parsley, salt and pepper and a pinch of cayenne or piment d’espelette.
- For presentation: Place a spoonful of creamed corn down on a plate, place the pork chop on top, top with the cherry mixture and a little of the habanero onions.
The Chew: Should Guests Be Able To Determine The Menu At A Cookout?
The courtroom of Judge Foodie opened up today for Stephanie, who eats with her hands instead of silverware, which she doesn’t think is wrong because, dammit, it’s summer. Her family thinks she’s a single girl who needs to get married off, and that eating with her hands scares off potential partners. Clinton said there isn’t anything wrong with that.
Fanisha always calls ahead to any cookout she is invited to and tells the host to not put any hard-boiled eggs in the summer salads. Is it wrong for Fanisha to try and dictate the menu of her host’s party? Fanisha ultimately was kicked out of the courtroom, because you don’t tell anyone what to serve at their own cookout.
Michelle is known for her summer cookouts, but Shaunna is calling her out for leaving the vein in and the shell on with her shrimp. Is this gross? Donna thinks that cooking the shrimp in the same water as the poop-end of the shrimp. Clinton Kelly and Mario didn’t see a problem with it because, when Michelle serves her shrimp, it is free of the poop-end of the shrimp.