The Chew: The Meatball Shop Review
The Chew had a special today on The Meatball Shop, a restaurant in New York city that specializes in meatballs. The Chew correspondant talked to Michael Chernow and Daniel Holzman, the co-owners of The Meatball Shop.
Michael Chernow and Daniel Holzman have been best friends for a long time. They said they wanted to open a restaurant that was as warm and inviting as a plate of meatballs. They’ve been talking about it since high school. Now they have three restaurants, two on the way and a cookbook. “The response has been amazing,” Chernow said. “It’s like a dream come true.”
In a given night, they go through 6,000 meatballs. They always have chicken, pork, beef and vegetarian. One of the fan favorites on the menu is The Kitchen Sink, a medley of the chef’s choice of vegetables with a sauce with meatballs. Daphne Oz said that they make an amazing vegetarian meatball, with lentils and mushrooms that she really likes.
The Chew: The Meatball Shop Spicy Pork Meatballs
Michael and Daniel demonstrated how they make their spicy pork meatballs.
- Start with the pork shoulder and slice it up. This is a good cut of meat for meatballs because it has a lot of fat.
- For every pound of meat, they use one slice of bread or a quarter cup of breadcrumbs.
- Then they add the pickled peppers and the pickled pepper juice and they mix up the meat.
- Next, they add egg and roll the meatballs out into a little bigger than a golf ball.
- They cook them up and add the sauce.