The Chew Thanksgiving Battle: Onion Dip with Sweet Potato Chips
Matt admitted that his wife is a good cook, but he has been perfecting his recipes for years for a more gourmet approach. If he lost, he would have to quit fantasy football for the season and do the Thanksgiving dishes. Matthew claimed the trophy thanks to a vote by the tasting table.
The couple also has a five-month-old daughter at home, and it sounds like she will have plenty of good family recipes growing up.
The Chew: Sweet Potato Chips Recipe Ingredients
- 2 Sweet Potatoes
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne
- Canola Oil
Onion Dip Ingredients
- 2 Sweet Onions
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 oz Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 Shallots
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup Cream Cheese
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 5 sliced Chives
- Salt & Pepper
Matthew Miller: The Chew Sweet Potato Chips Recipe Directions
- Peel and slice sweet potatoes using a mandolin.
- Rinse slices in a colander and pat them dry.
- Heat oil on high to 375 F for frying.
- Cook slices in batches so you don’t overcrowd the pan.
- Remove them with a strainer and dry excess oil on paper towel-lined baking sheets.
- Sprinkle chili powder and cayenne over the chips, along with some salt.
- Flip the fries and season the other side.
- To make the dip, slice onions and shallots on the mandolin.
- Heat oil and butter in a saucepan.
- Add onion and shallot, along with salt and pepper.
- Saute for about 25 minutes, until caramelized and golden.
- Remove the veggies and let them drain and cool on a plate.
- Place onions in a large bowl once they have cooled.
- Mix in cream cheese, mayonnaise, and sour cream.
- Beat until smooth.
- Mix in Worcestershire Sauce and season to taste.
- Serve topped with chives, alongside the chips.