The Chew: Crispy Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe With Blue Cheese Sauce
It doesn’t get much more all-American than a Grilled Cheese Sandwich. But The Chew loves its international flavor, especially when it comes to cheese. Find out how you can make a spectacular blue cheese sauce and other ways to spice up this classic with The Chew’s Crispy Grilled Cheese recipe.
You can also use the cheese sauce as the basis for a fondue, if you have ever wanted to make your own. Have you ever eaten fondue before? Have you tried making it at home?
The Chew: Crispy Grilled Cheese Recipe Ingredients
- 12 slices Pullman Loaf
- 8 tbsp soft Butter
- 2 cups grated Gruyere Cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere Cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 1/4 cups Milk
- 1/4 tsp fresh Nutmeg
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup Blue Cheese Crumbles
- Red Chili Flakes
- Salt & Pepper
The Chew: Michael Symon Crispy Grilled Cheese Recipe Directions
- Preheat a panini press on medium.
- Spread soft butter on one side of each bread slice.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup Gruyere Cheese on the non-buttered side of half the bread slices.
- Add remaining bread to make sandwiches, with buttered sides facing out.
- Cook on a panini press for up to five minutes, until golden crisp.
- Remove from press and serve.
- Make your sandwich special by combining extra Gruyere with Parmesan and sprinkling it on top of the other half of your bread. This creates an interesting texture.
- Cook until crispy in your panini press.
Make your sandwich spectacular with this cheese sauce.
- Whisk butter and flour in a sauce pot, cooking on medium until golden.
- Add milk and whisk. Boil, then reduce to a simmer, cooking until creamy.
- Take off heat and add nutmeg with blue cheese and chili flakes.
- Add salt and pepper as needed if desired.
- Serve dipping sauce with grilled cheese sandwiches.