The Chew: Michael Symon & Helen Cavallo Spaghetti Squash & Meatballs
Chef Helen Cavallo from That’s Fresh stopped by to make a great low calorie version of spaghetti and meatballs, with spaghetti squash in the place of regular spaghetti. Michael Symon gave her a hand as the two made this awesome-looking concoction.
Mario Batali said this meal was spectacular, which Michael Symon said was a great honor, because Mario Batali is, according to him, “the king of Italian cuisine.”
Ingredients For the Homemade Tomato Sauce:
- 2 Carrots (diced)
- 2 Celery stalks (diced)
- 1 Yellow Onion (diced)
- 3 Garlic cloves (minced)
- 8-10 Plum Tomatoes
- 3 cups Water
- 1/2 cup Red Wine
- 1 cup freshly torn Basil Leaves
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Chili Flakes
For the Spaghetti:
- Homemade Tomato Sauce
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
Ingredients For the Meatballs:
- 1 1/2 pound Ground Turkey (you can also use beef; pork; or veal)
- 1 Egg beaten
- 3/4 cup Italian Bread Crumbs
- 1/4 cup minced fresh Parsley
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- Salt to taste
- Slice the squash in half and remove seeds. Roast.
- Combine homemade sauce ingredients, warm over medium heat.
- Combine turkey, Parmesan cheese, one beaten whole egg, bread crumbs, parsley and basil. Season with salt and pepper and stir together until nice and smooth, but don’t overwork it.
- Roll into balls a little bit larger than a golf ball.
- Combine with homemade sauce. Give it about 30 to 35 minutes to poach in the sauce.
- Scoop spaghetti strings out of squash and combine everything together.