The Chew: Mario Batali’s Risotto with Mushrooms and Vin Santo
On The Chew, Mario Batali’s risotto with mushrooms and vin santo recipe was the star of the show, well, I should say c0-star, as comedian George Lopez came on the show to help out in the kitchen.
The Chew: Risotto with Mushrooms and Vin Santo Recipe Ingredients
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 medium Red Onion (finely chopped)
- 8 ounces Porcini (sliced)
- 8 ounces Shitake Mushrooms (stems removed; caps sliced) (Buy mushrooms when they’re in season, or buy out-of-season mushrooms dried.)
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio Rice
- 8 cups Chicken Stock (heated until hot)
- 1 cup Vin Santo
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Salt and Pepper to taste
The Chew: Risotto with Mushrooms and Vin Santo Directions
- In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium just before smoking.
- Add onion and cook until softened and translucent but not browned, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and saute until lightly browned.
- Add the rice and stir until thoroughly coated and opaque, about 3 minutes.
- Add a 4 to 6 ounces ladleful of the stock and cook, stirring, until the liquid is absorbed.
- Continue stirring and adding the stock a ladleful at a time, waiting until the liquid is absorbed each time before adding more, until the rice is tender and creamy but still al dente, about 18 minutes.
- The trick to risotto is to slowly add the stock. If you add too much at once, it will end up too wet. Every time the liquid goes below surface of rice, add a little more liquid. It should take 18 to 20 minutes to absorb all the liquid.
- Vigorously stir the risotto after you add the butter in order to introduce air into the risotto. This is called mantecatura — making the texture as smooth and creamy as possible. The risotto should look wet, rather then dry like a pilaf.
- Add the vin santo and cook until the alcohol smell is gone, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the butter and Parmigiano, and stir vigorously for 25 seconds.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve.