The Chew: Laila Ali’s Stewed Chicken and Gravy & Rice Pilaf
It would seem that Laila Ali can cook up knockouts in and out of the boxing ring, as her stewed chicken and gravy recipe looked great, and her rice pilaf recipe complemented the dish perfectly.
The Chew: Stewed Chicken and Gravy Recipe Ingredients
- 6-8 Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 6-8 Chicken Tenders
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Yellow Onion
- 1 cup chopped Green Onion
- 6 cloves Garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons chopped Thyme
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 3 teaspoons Paprika
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup fresh Parsley to garnish
- sifted Flour to thicken gravy
The Chew: Stewed Chicken and Gravy Directions
- Put chicken in a large mixing bowl.
- Add paprika, chili powder, black pepper, and sea salt.
- Mix well and set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium low heat in a large sauté pan.
- Add yellow onion, green onion and garlic.
- Sauté about 6 to 8 minutes or until they begin to brown.
- Remove onions from the pan and set aside.
- Put chicken in the sauté pan.
- Add a little more olive oil if needed.
- Turn heat up to medium high and brown chicken on both sides, about 10 to 12 minutes total.
- Return onions back to the pan.
- Pour in 5 cups of warm water.
- Add thyme and bay leaves.
- Stir all ingredients together and cook uncovered on medium heat for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Thicken gravy with sifted flour as needed.
- Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with parsley.
- Serve hot over rice or other starch.
The Chew: Laila Ali Rice Pilaf Recipe Ingredients
- 2 cups Basmati Rice (quick cook optional)
- 4-5 cups Chicken Broth (depending on type of rice)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Sweet Onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Celery
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- White Pepper
The Chew: Rice Pilaf Directions
- In a large pan, sauté veggies in olive oil and butter over medium heat until they begin to brown, about about 5 minutes.
- Experiment with a variety of vegetables in the pilaf.
- Add rice, chicken broth, garlic powder and a couple pinches of salt and white pepper to the pan.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and cover.
- Cook until rice is tender. Cooking time depends on type of rice used.
- Remove from heat and fluff with a fork, add sea salt and pepper to taste.