The Chew: Thanksgiving Battle
Jennifer Miller said she is the better cook in her relationship. She faced off against him in The Chew’s Thanksgiving Battle episode, making her Grandma Te’s Pumpkin Soup Recipe. She said that she cooks with love from the heart, and does not need to go by a recipe, unlike her husband (who made Sweet Potato Chips).
If she lost the bet, she would have to give up reality television for a year. They both had plenty of skin in the game, but ultimately Jennifer would have to find something else to watch. I’d still try her soup, even though she did not win the audience vote.
The Chew: Grandma Te’s Pumpkin Soup Recipe Ingredients
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 2 chopped Onions
- 2 15-oz cans Pumpkin Puree (or use fresh pumpkin)
- 1 tsp Curry Powder
- 1/2 tsp ground Nutmeg
- 2 1/2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 chopped Leeks (whites only)
- 5 cups Chicken Broth
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground Ginger
- 8 sprigs Thyme
- 1 cup Half & Half
Jennifer Miller: The Chew Grandma Te’s Pumpkin Soup Recipe Directions
- On medium high, combine butter with olive oil in a soup pot.
- Saute onion and leek for about five minutes, until they get soft.
- Add a little salt and pepper.
- Stir in pumpkin with four cups of broth.
- Add spices, thyme, bay leaves, and brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, uncovered.
- Remove thyme and bay leaves.
- Puree with an immersion blender or food processor until smooth.
- Add the half & half in two portions, mixing it in well.
- Add more broth as needed.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until heated through.
- You can keep it in the fridge for two days, or freeze it.
Serve soup in small Cinderella pumpkins for a great presentation. Just make sure to clean and dry the inside of the pumpkin before filling it with soup.
Scatter fresh toasted pumpkin seeds from a large pumpkin on top.