The Chew: Velveeta Shortage?
The Chew crew got wind of the rumored Velveeta shortage that has been in the news this week. Extreme weather has caused a beef shortage due to affected shipping. But the big news on the East Coast is the rumored Velveeta shortage. Michael Symon came to the rescue with his homemade Block O Cheese Recipe. You can even use it to make Pulled Pork Mac & Cheese!
Kraft Foods, the makers of Velveeta, have said that this shortage is a temporary problem as a result of high demand due to the holidays and the upcoming Super Bowl. Do you use Velveeta in any favorite dips or party recipes?
Like this idea? Check out more great homemade imitations:
The Chew: Homemade Velveeta Substitute
Cheese is a fan favorite ingredient, and Carla Hall thought it was interesting that the shortage was primarily affecting customers on the East Coast. Do you think Velveeta is more popular in some areas of the country than others?
The Polar Vortex has made all forms of transportation and delivery more difficult, but a good chef knows how to improvise when the moment calls for it. Enter Michael Symon with his Block O Cheese recipe.
For those who do have access to Velveeta, it is shelf stable, which means you can stock up if you feel the need.
The Chew: Michael Symon Block O Cheese Recipe Ingredients
Powdered milk works here to give the snack a creamy mouthfeel.
- 1 cup Boiling Water
- 1 lb shredded Cheese (Colby Jack/Cheddar/Swiss)
- 1/4 oz powdered, unflavored Gelatin Packet
- 6 tbsp Powdered Milk
Homemade Velveeta: The Chew Block O Cheese Recipe Directions
- Blend the gelatin with powdered milk and boiling water. Puree until smooth.
- Add cheese and puree for another minute or two, scraping down the sides to mix it all together.
- Transfer cheese to a mold or container, covering it in plastic wrap and sealing the lid.
- Chill at least 12 hours or let set overnight.