The Chew: Guy Fieri Dungeness Crab Season
Guy Fieri returned to The Chew to play along with some of his friends, Michael Symon and Mario Batali. Dungeness Crab is now in season, and you can use it in this Nor Cal Cioppino Recipe. This year, Guy went and caught his own crabs for the very first time.
What is one of the strangest Christmas gifts he ever received? As a child, he received a horse named Rebel. A childhood picture of Guy showed him with naturally blond hair. When he first met the horse, it kicked his dog.
For the holidays, Fieri likes to spend time with his family, which is unusual given his heavy travel schedule. There is a lot of effort that goes into menu planning. One of his favorites is Nor Cal Cioppino, a northern California favorite. It’s a twist on the French bouillabaisse, and you can customize the seafood ingredients to your personal tastes.
The Chew: Guy Fieri Nor Cal Cioppino Recipe Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups sliced Fennel
- 1/2 cup minced Garlic
- 1 1/2 cups Dry Red Wine
- 1/2 cup Clam Juice
- 1 quart Water
- 2 tbsp Red Chili Flakes
- 1 tbsp dried Basil
- 4 lb cooked whole Dungeness Crab (quartered and cracked)
- 2 lb firm White Fish
- 1 cup chopped Parsley
- 4 cups diced Yellow Onions
- 1 cup chopped Red Bell Pepper
- 1/2 cup Tomato Paste
- 6 cups San Marzano Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 tbsp dried Oregano
- 2 tbsp Sambuca Liqueur
- 2 lb cleaned, scrubbed Littleneck Clams
- 2 lb shell-on, deveined Shrimp
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Guy Fieri: The Chew Nor Cal Cioppino Recipe Directions
- Heat oil in a stock pot.
- Cook fennel, garlic, onion and red pepper to brown.
- Brown tomato paste with vegetables, stirring frequently.
- Pour in tomato sauce, lemon juice, wine, clam juice, oregano, bay leaves, chili flakes, Sambuca, basil, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 60 minutes.
- Simmer crabs in the sauce for 25 minutes.
- Add clams, simmering another five minutes.
- Then add fish and shrimp, cooking until the shrimp are pink, about four and a half minutes.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Add parsley.
- Serve with bread.