The Chew: Brad Garrett
Brad Garrett was a guest in The Chew kitchen to make a Fried Ricotta Calzone Recipe with Mario Batali. The Chew hosts had trouble staying on track as Garrett joked about his Jewish faith and kept trying to throw the show off topic. Later, Daphne Oz shared her secret for a Breakfast Potatoes Recipe.
The Chew: Brad Garrett Star Search & ELO
“Your blood type is caramel, am I correct?” Garrett asked Batali. As a Jew, Garrett joked that he was offended by all the pork on The Chew.
You can see Garrett alongside Elizabeth Perkins and Sarah Chalke in ABC’s new comedy How To Live With Your Parents, which airs Wednesday. Garrett started on the ‘80s series Star Search, and The Chew dug up an old clip.
The Chew also dug up an old ELO album, Discovery, on which Garrett was a model at a young age.
The Chew: Fried Ricotta Calzone Recipe Ingredients
- Pizza Dough
- 2 cups Ricotta
- 1 bunch Asparagus
- 1 1/2 cups Sliced Ham (or Prosciutto)
- 1 tsp Chili Flakes
- Parmesan Cheese
- Marinara Sauce
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
The Chew: Mario Batali Fried Ricotta Calzone Recipe Directions
- Fill a pot halfway with olive oil and heat on medium high to 350 F.
- Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a cast iron pan on medium high.
- Cook asparagus in the pan, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Let asparagus char, which should take two or three minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta with asparagus, ham, and chili flakes. Drizzle with olive oil and season using salt and pepper.
- Cut pizza dough into six equal pieces and shape into 3”x5” rectangles.
- Wet edges of dough with a little water so you can fold the calzone and seal it.
- Divide filling equally among the six pockets and press gently to firmly seal them before frying.
- Cook in batches so as not to overcrowd the pot of oil.
- Calzone pockets should cook around four minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and let rest on a plate.
- Season with parmesan and serve with marinara.
The Chew: Daphne Oz Crispy Breakfast Potatoes Recipe
As a final tip, Daphne Oz shared her Breakfast Potatoes Recipe secret. She said soaking the potatoes before you cook them helps them achieve a nice crisp.
The Chew: Crispy Breakfast Potatoes Recipe Ingredients
- 3 medium Russet Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 1/3 tsp Cayenne
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Onion Powder
- 1 Bell Pepper, chopped
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
The Chew: Daphne Oz Breakfast Potatoes Recipe Directions
- Put potatoes in a bowl and cover with cold water. Soak at least 15 minutes or overnight.
- Drain and dry potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Combine potatoes with pepper and onion in a large bowl. Toss in olive oil.
- Mix garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, and salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Add seasoning mixture to potatoes and toss well.
- On a prepared rimmed baking sheet, spread potatoes in a single layer.
- Bake about 35 minutes, checking about every nine minutes to flip or move potatoes and ensure even cooking.
- Serve hot with hot sauce or ketchup.