The Chew: Dueling Dutch Ovens
Daphne Oz faced off against Mario Batali with this Chicken Pozole Verde Recipe, which competed with his Agnolotti in Brodo Recipe. Both are warm, savory, and satisfying, making them perfect for a winter’s day.
Tomatillos are green tomatoes with a tart, acidic bite. You can adjust the spicy flavor of this meal (or any time you cook with jalapenos). The more ribs and seeds you take out, the milder the flavor will be.
The Chew: What is Hominy?
To balance the tart with some sweet, Daphne customized her dish with maple syrup. Something about soup goes perfectly in the wintertime. Hominy is corn that has been exposed to alkali for nixtamalization, which adds a dumpling-like texture, according to Oz.
You can find hominy in the canned section of almost any supermarket.
The Chew: Daphne Oz Chicken Pozole Verde Recipe Ingredients
- 2 quarts Chicken Stock
- 1 White Onion (1/2 diced)
- 1 tsp Dried Mexican Oregano
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/2 bunch chopped Parsley
- 1/4 cup Orange Juice
- 5 husked, rinsed, halved Tomatillos
- 1 chopped Jalapeno
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 4 bone-in, skin-on Chicken Thighs
- 2 15-oz cans drained, rinsed Hominy
- Olive Oil
- sliced Radishes
- Sour Cream
- cubed Avocado
- Lime wedges
Daphne Oz: The Chew Chicken Pozole Verde Recipe Directions
- Combine tomatillos with the whole half of the onion, oregano, cumin, jalapeno, garlic, maple syrup and parsley in a blender. Add one hot cup of chicken stock.
- Puree to smooth.
- Heat oil on medium high in a dutch oven.
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Cook for five or six minutes on each side, until cooked through.
- Remove to a plate. Deglaze with puree mixture.
- Simmer and reduce by half.
- Remove thigh meat and shred it.
- Once sauce is reduced, add remaining hot stock and hominy.
- Add orange juice to taste.
- Bring to boiling, then reduce and simmer, cooking about 10 minutes to heat the hominy.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Spoon into bowls. Serve with shredded chicken, remaining onion, and your toppings of choice.