The Chew: Chocolate Mousse For Mother’s Day
Why buy your mom a totally impersonal box of chocolates when you could make something of your own to give to her. Check out this Chocolate Mousse Recipe!
The Chew: Chocolate Mousse Recipe
- 4 ounces Bittersweet Chocolate (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 2 tablespoons Strong Coffee or Espresso
- 2 Large Eggs (separated)
- 1/8 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 6 tablespoons Granulated Sugar (divided)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 tablespoons Almond Liqueur
- Toasted Sliced Almonds (to garnish)
- Chocolate Shavings for garnish
- Whipped Cream for garnish
The Chew: Chocolate Mousse Recipe Directions
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate, butter, and espresso.
- Mix in the egg yolks, and then the almond liqueur.
- If you don’t like liqueur, you can leave it out! Extract can be a good substitute.
- Cover, and set aside.
- In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, whip the egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
- For a more light and airy mousse, carefully fold in the egg whites, instead of stirring them in.
- To fold in, start in the middle, make a quarter turn, and fold the whites in.
- Gradually add two tablespoons of sugar and continue to whip until stiff peaks form, yet the whites are still glossy and not dry.
- Set aside.
- In another bowl, whip the heavy cream, remaining sugar and vanilla extract until soft peaks form.
- Mix a few spoonfuls of the egg white mixture into the chocolate mixture.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Fold in half of the whipped cream.
- Serve with the remaining whipped cream and toasted almonds and chocolate shavings for garnish.
- To make chocolate shavings, warm the chocolate on the side of a pan to make it easier to shave.
- If you want it chilled, make it a day ahead and chilled in the fridge!