The Chew: 500 Calorie Blowout
The Chew featured a day of dishes with 500 calories or less. This stew was 490 calories, and Daphne Oz enlisted Mario Batali to help her make this Chicken & Pomegranate Stew Recipe, which is filling but also light. The cost is about $1.49 per serving.
The Chew: Pomegranate Molasses
This meal was inspired by a Persian dish that Daphne discovered at a small restaurant in New York City. If you don’t have Pomegranate Molasses at your grocery store, reduce some pomegranate juice by 1/3 to get the same approximate result.
What makes this stew so creamy? It’s roasted walnuts, the magic weapon. Just pulse them in a food processor and toast them in oil to give a rich and satisfying taste layer to your stew.
The Chew crew agreed that this light recipe had full flavor and hit the fat point on your tongue. Some of Daphne’s favorite healthy swaps include:
- Greek yogurt instead of sour cream on a baked potato
- Use applesauce instead of eggs or oil when baking
- Replace salad croutons with walnuts for a crunch
Daphne Oz: The Chew Chicken & Pomegranate Stew Recipe Ingredients
- 2 cups Water
- 6 boneless, skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/4 cup Pomegranate Seeds
- 1 cup toasted ground Walnuts
- 3 tbsp Pomegranate Molasses
- 1 diced Yellow Onion
- pinch of Saffron
- 1/4 cup Mint leaves
- Greek Yogurt
- cooked Brown Basmati Rice
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
The Chew: Daphne Oz Chicken & Pomegranate Stew Recipe Directions
- In a small saucepan on medium, add a tablespoon of olive oil and the walnuts.
- Cook and stir often so you don’t burn them.
- Once fragrant, add the water and molasses.
- Bring to a boil; then simmer for half an hour.
- In a large saute pan or skillet on medium high, heat olive oil.
- Season chicken thighs and brown them on both sides.
- Reserve on a plate.
- Cook onion in the pan for five minutes, until soft and translucent.
- Mix in turmeric.
- Return chicken to the pan and add the walnut mix.
- Add saffron and the water you used to bloom it.
- Simmer and cook until chicken is done.
- Adjust seasonings to your preference.
- Garnish with mint leaves, yogurt and pomegranate seeds, over a bed of rice.