The Chew: Dish of the Day
The Chew’s Mario Batali and Clinton Kelly took two different approaches to the Dish of the Day, embellishing a basic burger with some spicy and flavorful accessories. Try Mario’s Spicy Sausage Provolone Burgers or Clinton’s Chicken Mac and Cheese Burgers.
The Chew: Mario Batali Spicy Sausage Provolone Burger Recipe Ingredients
- 1 1/2 lb Ground Beef
- 1 1/2 lb Spicy Italian Sausage
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Toasted Fennel Seeds
- 1/4 cup Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 cup Basil Leaves
- 3 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 2 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1 cup Pickled Cherry Peppers
- 6 slices Provolone Cheese
- 6 Hamburger Buns
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
The Chew Spicy Sausage Provolone Burger Recipe Directions
- Preheat a skillet to medium high.
- Combine sausage and beef using your hands.
- Mix in Worcestershire and fennel.
- Form meat into six patties of equal size and season with some salt.
- In the skillet, cook patties for a few minutes on each side.
- Cook on both sides to desired temperature and top with provolone cheese.
- Let burgers rest and tent with foil until time to assemble.
- Combine dijon, mayo, and basil leaves in a bowl to create a mustard topping.
- Mix cherry peppers with olive oil and maple syrup. Let sit before using
- Toast buns in the burger pan.
- Add Basil Mustard and Pepper Relish to half of each bun.
- Serve immediately.
The Chew Chicken Mac and Cheese Burger Recipe Ingredients
This chicken burger is almost a healthy option until you top it with macaroni and cheese. Here’s how to make it.
- 1 1/2 lb Ground Chicken
- 1 lb Macaroni
- 1 lb Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 diced Onion
- 1 grated Onion
- 1 grated Zucchini
- 1 grated Carrot
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 tsp Dried Mustard
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 3/4 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 Egg
- 6 Hamburger Buns
- Salt & Pepper
The Chew: Clinton Kelly’s Chicken Mac and Cheese Burger Recipe Directions
- Drain onion to squeeze out water before mixing.
- Work chicken with carrots, grated onion, and zucchini. Mix in breadcrumbs and egg with salt and pepper.
- Form mixture into equal sized patties on a lined baking sheet.
- Oil a griddle on medium high.
- Cook patties for about seven minutes on each side, until fully cooked.
- Prepare macaroni by following box directions.
- Combine onion and garlic in a sauce pan on medium. Cook about four minutes.
- Stir in mustard, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Add flour and milk to thicken for around three to four minutes.
- Add cheese and macaroni. Stir and reserve.
- Toast rolls on the griddle.
- Top chicken patty with macaroni and serve.