The Chew: Carla Hall Dessert House Call
For the cooking class episode, Carla Hall visited the home of Cathleen Panconi for a dessert intervention. Panconi said she enjoys baking her for family, but is stuck in a rut. It was time for a rescue with Carla Hall’s Pantry Peach Cake Recipe.
“When you have a well-stocked pantry, it’s easy to make something wonderful for them that they’re going to love,” Carla said as she raided Cathleen’s cupboards for ingredients. I don’t know that I believe these ingredients were on hand, or that Carla magically came up with a recipe, but it does sound good, so I can’t complain too much.
The Chew: Pantry Peach Cake Ingredients
Here is what you need to make Carla’s recipe.
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 14 oz Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 12 oz Evaporated Milk
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup Sugar
- 5 Eggs
- 1 tsp Almond Extract
- Zest of 2 Limes
- 1 1/2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 14.5 oz Peaches (in water)
- 1/2 cup Toasted Almonds
The Chew: Carla Hall Pantry Peach Cake Recipe Directions
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Combine milk ingredients and reserve.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Beat butter, sugar, and lime zest with a mixer for about four minutes.
- Add in eggs with almond extract, beating into the mix.
- Slowly add flour until combined, without over-mixing.
- Pour batter into a prepared 9×13 cake pan.
- Bake cake for about 30 minutes, testing with a toothpick or fork to determine doneness. If it comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Use a fork to pierce the cake in multiple places.
- Pour milk mix over cake and let stand until cool. Then refrigerate for a couple hours.
- Combine cream with sugar and vanilla in a mixer, forming soft peaks.
- Cut chilled cake and top with canned peaches. Top with whipped cream and almonds before serving.