The Chew: Wendy Williams
Talk show host Wendy Williams came by The Chew to talk about Aaliyah: The Princess of R&B and to help Mario Batali whip up a great Cranberry Cherry Crumble recipe, a wonderful Thanksgiving dessert with a great bacon crust. Wendy Williams is a producer of the new movie, which airs November 15, 2014 on Lifetime.
Check out my attempt at this recipe below!
The Chew: Mario Batali Cranberry Cherry Crumble Recipe Ingredients
For the Bacon Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon well-chilled bacon (cut into 1/8-inch pieces)
- 5 ounces unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup ice water
For the Cranberry-Cherry Filling:
- 3 cups cranberries
- 2 cups frozen cherries (pitted)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch kosher salt
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Almond Crumb Topping:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup almonds (finely chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- heavy cream to serve
Mario Batali: The Chew Cranberry Cherry Crumble Recipe Directions
- For the pie crust, begin by putting the flour, salt, bacon, and butter in a food processor and pulsing until the mixture is coarse like breadcrumbs.
- Add half of the water and pulse a few times and then add the remaining water and pulse until the mixture forms a ball.
- Flatten dough into a 1-inch disk on a floured piece of waxed paper. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, create the other elements. For the Cranberry-Cherry Filling, just combine all the ingredients and set aside.
- For the Almond Crumb Topping, pulse together the ingredients until the mixture is similar to gravel. Set aside.
- To assemble, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out dough to a 12-inch circle on a floured sheet of waxed paper.
- Press dough into a 11-inch tart pan. Press edges and trim overhand and freeze for 10 minutes.
- Add the Cranberry-Cherry Filling to the crust and sprinkle evenly on top with the Almond Crumb topping.
- Bake the pie in the oven for 1 hour until bubbling on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Transfer to wire rack and let cool for about 2 hours. If you eat it before it has had time to cool, the pie will be too soupy.
- Serve with whipped cream or sour cream and enjoy!