The Chew: Jon Hamm Million Dollar Arm
Actor Jon Hamm joined Mario Batali in the kitchen to make a recipe and talk about his new film Million Dollar Arm. The new film comes out May 16. The premise is a sports agent in L.A. figures out how to open up the market for baseball in India. India doesn’t play baseball, however. They play cricket. His idea is to turn cricket bowlers into baseball pitchers. This is based on a true story.
Jon Hamm got to go to India for the movie and he said he was awesome, even though it was a great clash of cultures and different foods. He said he survived it without getting sick. He said that it was fun and a great learning experience to go there.
For this recipe, make sure to use the crabs fresh the day you get them from the fishmonger. Ask the fishmonger to take care of the crabs by taking out the gills and setting them up for you.
The Chew: Mario Batali Soft Shell Crab Po’Boys Recipe Ingredients
- 8 Soft Shell Crabs (cleaned and rinsed in cold water)
- Flour (for dredging)
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- Vegetable Oil (to fry)
- 8 Sesame Seed Burger Buns (lightly toasted; to serve)
- 1 head Napa Cabbage (thinly sliced)
- 2 Serrano Chiles (sliced)
- 1 Lime (juice and zest)
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Chives (finely chopped)
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (to taste)
Ramp Tartar Sauce
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Crème Fraiche
- 1 Lemon (juiced)
- 3 tablespoons Fresh Horseradish (freshly grated)
- 1/4 cup Ramps (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Capers (roughly chopped)
Mario Batali: The Chew Soft Shell Crab Po’Boys Recipe Directions
- Slice ramps thinly on either end. For this recipe, we’re using the leaves and the bulbs.
- Mix ramps with the rest of the coleslaw ingredients, including the chopped napa cabbage, chives, serrano peppers, lime zest, red pepper flakes, lime juice and oil, together in a large bowl.
- Mix together the tartar sauce ingredients and keep chilled until ready.
- Mix together the Old Bay and the regular flower in a shallow dish and season with salt and pepper.
- Dredge crabs in flour and salt mixture.
- Heat oil in pan until hot and then drop the crabs into the pan gently.
- Toast buns.
- Assemble the sandwiches by adding the tartar sauce to the bottom bun. Spread about one tablespoon onto the bread. Then, add the slaw to the top of the bun. Finally, add the crab to the bottom of the bread and put the pieces of bread together into a sandwich.