The Chew: Rick Springfield Jessie’s Girl
Rick Springfield came by The Chew to talk about his new novel Magnificent Vibration. Mario Batali asked him if his career would be different if he had gotten the girl in “Jessie’s Girl.” Rick Springfield definitely would’ve been different.
The Chew: Rick Springfield Magnificent Vibration
Rick Springfield has a new novel called Magnificent Vibration, about a man who steals a self-help book with a phone number in it claiming to go to God. The main character calls the number and ends up having a conversation with God. In the book, God is not how we all imagine him to be, so the book has a lot of dark comedy. Mario Batali said he felt like the point of the book is that God is whatever you want Him to be.
The Chew: Mario Batali’s Vegan Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup Ingredients
For The Tomato Soup:
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 large cans tomato
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
For The Grilled Cheese:
- 2 cans white cannelloni beans
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Tahini
- Your favorite bread
Mario Batali: The Chew Vegan Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup Directions
- Start by preparing the soup. First, dice the onions and the garlic.
- Heat up olive oil in a large-bottomed pot over medium heat. Toss in the garlic, onions, and 1 tablespoon thyme leaves.
- Once the onions are translucent and the garlic is fragrant, add the 2 cans tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, start making the cheese substitute. Toss beans, lemon zest, tahini, lemon juice, and olive oil into the food processor. Puree the mixture.
- Slather fake cheese mixture onto bread and place two pieces together with mixture in between to form a sandwich.
- Heat up 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a saute pan and cook the grilled cheese for two to three minutes on each side, or until crispy and golden brown. Remove and place on plate.
- Once the tomato soup is done cooking, let the mixture cool and then puree it in a food processor. Heat back up for serving.
- Serve each sandwich with a ladle or two of the soup.