The Chew: Wings & Things Battle
The Chew crew held a Wings & Things Battle, pitting Michael Symon’s Vodka Hot Wings with Fried Pickles against Mario Batali’s Stuffed Chicken Wings.
Michael said he is obsessed with getting the perfect crunch in fried foods. That’s how he has figured out the pickle juice brine. It also helps that vodka is used in the batter, because it evaporates faster, meaning the skin gets crunchier quicker.
The obsession with crunch paid off, because Michael Symon won this battle. I guess Mario will have to try again next time!
The Chew: Michael Symon Vodka Hot Wings Recipe with Fried Pickles Ingredients
- 2 lb Chicken Wings
- 1 cup Cornstarch
- Smoked Paprika (or use Cayenne seasoning)
- 1 jar of Pickle Chips
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 4 cups Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup Cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Celery Salt
- 1/2 cup Vodka
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1 tsp Smoked Chipotle
- 1 tsp Cayenne
- 1/2 cup Pilsner Beer
- fresh Ginger
- Soy Sauce
- Rice Wine Vinegar
- Hoisin Sauce
Michael Symon: The Chew Vodka Hot Wings with Fried Pickles Recipe Directions
- Drain pickle juice into a bowl or container. Reserve pickles in the jar.
- Submerge wings in pickle juice to brine overnight.
- Remove wings and dry with paper towels. Discard the brine.
- Let wings come to room temperature for about 20 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch with baking powder, salt and seasoning.
- Toss wings in this mixture to coat.
- Let wings sit for two hours.
- Place oil in a dutch oven and heat to 360 F.
- Whisk dry batter ingredients, and then add in the wet ingredients, mixing for a smooth result.
- Dredge wings in batter and let excess drip off.
- Lay wings in oil and cook in batches to golden brown.
- Combine sauce ingredients to taste.
- Remove wings to drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Transfer drained wings to toss in a bowl with your sauce.
- Pat dry pickle chips and bread them as you did the wings.
- Fry two minutes after they are floating.
- Drain on paper towels and salt before serving.