The Chew: Smoked Turkey Indoors
The Chew crew has been celebrating Thanksgiving with simple recipes you can use to make the big cooking day easier on yourself. For the Traditions with a Twist episode, Michael Symon showed everyone how to bring outdoor flavor indoors with his Oven Smoked Turkey.
Smoking meats is traditionally done outdoors, but Symon found a way with this recipe that anyone can do this in a conventional oven and save time in the process. If you’ve been looking for a new way to do Thanksgiving, this could be it!
The Chew: Michael Symon Oven Smoked Turkey with Sage & Thyme Recipe Ingredients
- 2 cups Apple Wood Chips (soaked overnight)
- 1 tsp ground Coriander
- 1/2 bunch Thyme
- 1 halved head Garlic
- 10-12 lb Turkey
- 1 peeled, halved Onion
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/2 lb Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 bunch Thyme
- 2 cloves smashed Garlic
- 1/2 bunch Sage
Michael Symon: The Chew Oven Smoked Turkey with Sage & Thyme Recipe Directions
- One day before cooking, salt the turkey and keep it refrigerated.
- Set the turkey out at room temperature for 30 to 60 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat the oven at 225 F. Place foil in a roasting pan, leaving at least 1” foil overlap on all sides of the pan.
- Drain wood chips and place them in a single layer on your foil sheet.
- Pat the turkey skin dry. Season with coriander, salt and pepper (make sure to get inside the cavity as well).
- Place onion with garlic, sage, and thyme in the cavity.
- Set turkey on a roasting rack in the prepared pan.
- Turn two stove burners on high and place the roasting pan over them.
- Combine butter and garlic in a saucepan on medium to melt.
- Take off heat and create a sage and thyme herb bundle, secured with twine.
- Use the herb bundle to brush and baste the turkey with infused butter.
- After about two minutes, the wood chips should be smoking.
- Cover roasting pan with foil to contain the smoke. Transfer turkey to oven for one hour.
- Remove turkey from oven and turn heat up to 375 F.
- Take off the foil. Baste the turkey again. Cook uncovered for two to two and a half hours, basting at 30-minute intervals.
- Turkey is done at an internal temperature of 160 F.
- Remove from oven, tent with foil, and rest for 45-60 minutes before carving to serve.