The Chew: LeAnn Rimes Christmas Album
Country superstar LeAnn Rimes came by The Chew to talk about her new album One Christmas: Chapter One and to help Mario Batali make a great Sausage and Cheese Manicotti recipe. This new album is the first chapter, next year the second chapter comes out, and the third year the third chapter will come out. LeAnn said they’re all one project and she wanted to spread them out over several years because she loves Christmas music.
Check out my attempt to reproduce Mario’s Sausage and Cheese Manicotti recipe below!
The Chew: Mario Batali Sausage & Cheese Manicotti Recipe Ingredients
- 2 pounds hot Italian sausage (crumbled)
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups basic tomato sauce
- 1 package dried manicotti pasta
- 32 ounces fresh ricotta cheese (drained)
- 2 cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (divided, plus more to serve)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil pesto
- 1 egg, whisked
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Mario Batali: The Chew Sausage & Cheese Manicotti Recipe Directions
- Begin by preheating your oven to 400 degrees.
- Brown the sausage in a pan with a few tablespoons of oil over medium heat until the fat renders and the sausage is dark and crispy. Be sure to stir now and then to break up the sausage.
- Add the tomato sauce and stir to make a simple meat sauce. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Cook the manicotti 3 minutes less than the package instructions in a big pot of salted, boiling, water. Drain.
- Mix together the ricotta, 1 1/2 cups cheese, and pesto in a large bowl. Mix well, then season salt and pepper to taste and add the egg.
- Transfer filling to a piping bag and pipe into the cooked pasta, filling each one of the tubes.
- Add a single layer of the filled pasta to a greased baking dish and top with some of the sauce. Repeat with another layer of the filled pasta and sauce. Top with the Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden and dark on top. Let cool outside of oven for 10 minutes before serving and add some more grated cheese to the top.