The Chew: The Lagasse Girls Cookbook
The Chew aired a special segment where Jessie and Jilly Lagasse, Emeril Lagasse’s daughters, cooked Carla lunch in her apartment. Emeril even sent a special video to tell Carla she was in great hands with his daughters.
Jilly talked about being diagnosed with celiac disease and learning she couldn’t eat the foods she loved growign up. Jessie later learned she was gluten intolerant so the two of them knew their diets had to change. So they wrote a cookbook called The Lagasse Girls: Big Flavor, Bold Taste, and No Gluten which detailed all the great foods that they can make with no gluten involved at all.
Jilly and Jessie made Carla a Gluten Free Crispy Fried Chicken recipe, utilizing some techniques from Korean Fried Chicken. They included the cornstarch, which seems like an odd ingredient but it really does help the crust be crunchy and delicious.
I’m not 100 percent sure I got this recipe right, but I tried my best to reproduce what they did on TV. If it works for you, then great! Anyway, check it out below and I hope you enjoy it!
The Chew: The Lagasse Girls Gluten Free Crispy Fried Chicken Recipe Ingredients
- 1/4 Cup Hot Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Buttermilk
- 4 Pieces Chicken
- 1 Cup Super Fine White Rice Flour
- 1/2 Cup Cornstarch
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cajun Seasoning
- Vegetable Oil (For Frying)
The Lagasse Girls: The Chew Gluten Free Crispy Fried Chicken Recipe Directions
- Combine the marinade and put it into a plastic bag with the chicken. Marinate at least three hours.
- In a large bowl, mix together the white rice flour, cornstarch, salt, garlic powder, cayenne, and Cajun seasoning.
- Dredge chicken in the flour mixture and transfer to wire rack to rest for about 5 minutes.
- Then, coat the chicken again in the flour.
- Heat the oil in a deep-fryer to 350 degrees. Using metal tongs, carefully add the chicken into the oil, working in batches. Fry for 15 to 18 minutes, or until well browned. The larger pieces will take a little longer.
- Remove and let drain on a paper towel-lined plate before serving.